× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about setting a default gw outside IP subnet?

webformix
Follower

Question about setting a default gw outside IP subnet?

ReadyNAS 2100 v2, RAIDiator 4.2.23

So I am trying to set up the appliance so that Ethernet1 (eth0 from ssh) will have a netmask of 255.255.255.255 and then a gateway outside of the traditional subnet (in this case, a /32).

This is not any kind of a tunnel or slip or pppoe or cable modem situation, just raw ethernet: but the busy subnet this device belongs to is getting split into two areas with different routers and by teaching every device it's really in a /32 they will all use the routers to egress to IPs which were previously their neighbors. The routers in turn have static routes to each host in their flock which they advertise to our other internal routers. Too many things in our network require hardcoded IP addresses for a mass renumbering to be a terribly efficient solution at this time.

On windows hosts, I just set the netmask to 255.255.255.255 and press "I know, go away" at the popup warning that gateway is outside the subnet. On debian linux I use the following /etc/network/interfaces structure:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address A.B.C.D
netmask 255.255.255.255
up route add -host W.X.Y.Z eth0
up route add default gw W.X.Y.Z

Those static route commands say "all traffic to gateway IP goes out eth0, and then all traffic to the universe goes to that gateway IP".

== First off: can I replicate static routes like those above in ReadyNAS 2100 v2 GUI? I don't see a way to tell the "route" tab to use the interface as a gateway for my first command; it seems to assume that only a valid gateway IP address will do. Also, will GUI push back at me for specifying a /32 netmask to the IP on that interface?

== Secondly: If it turns out the GUI won't offer the subtlety we need, could this be achieved on the command line in a way which will survive device reboots, future firmware upgrades and the like? I do see there is a /etc/network/interfaces file I could conceivably edit, but it's header says "# This file is auto-generated. Do not modify!" so I would hate for my changes to be lost and for the device to fall offline. Additionally, I always avoid making any changes at CLI that could instead be done via the more officially supported GUI. :B

Please advise, thanks guys!
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements