× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAID 5 to RAID 1

UCB
Aspirant
Aspirant

RAID 5 to RAID 1

Hello there,

Upon adding a third hard disk (2TB) to my ReadyNAS 516 (OS version 6.7.5), it was automatically synced with an existing volume in RAID 5 (X-RAID). I would like to separate this disk, retaining the previous volume and data in RAID 1 if possible. I would also like to add some more hard disks but I'm not sure whether to change to Flex-RAID first.

I would appreciate some guidance. 

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Re: RAID 5 to RAID 1

you may disable xraid and select flexiraid mode

then add 4th drive and create a new volume in jbod, then copy all folders in original raid 5 to the 4th drive. after that u may destroy the raid 5 and recreate a new volume in raid 1. then copy all folders from 4th drive.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

raid 5 is not reversable to raid 1

what u can do is to backup all data to an external hard drive. put to flexi raid and then destroy the volume. then recreate a new volume in raid 1, flexi raid, no snapshot,  and create folders then copy your data back to different folders.

new disk you can set as a new 2nd volume with jbod

Message 2 of 8
UCB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would it be possible to move from RAID 5 to JBOD and then RAID 1 (selecting just two diks), while maintaining the data?

Message 3 of 8
cpu8088
Virtuoso

you may disable xraid and select flexiraid mode

then add 4th drive and create a new volume in jbod, then copy all folders in original raid 5 to the 4th drive. after that u may destroy the raid 5 and recreate a new volume in raid 1. then copy all folders from 4th drive.

Message 4 of 8
UCB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. I eventually disabled X-RAID, added two new disks and created a RAID-1 volume out of them. I copied the data from the old volume to the new one using the Backup feature, and then deleted the old volume.

Message 5 of 8
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello UCB,

It is nice to hear you manage to achieve the raid configuration you are trying to setup. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
UCB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello again,

I had already marked the solution and specified my procedure, but will here repeat it: I disabled the X-RAID mode on the three-disk volume, added two more disks to the ReadyNAS, configured them in RAID-1, copied all the data on the first volume to the second one and then deleted the latter. I hope this helps. 

Message 7 of 8
cpu8088
Virtuoso

you can create the 2nd volume in jbod or raid 0. redundancy is not needed and it is time consuming.

say your folders are called foldera in volume 1 and in volume 2 u create folderb then use backup function to back up.

after u delete volume 1 in raid 5 and recreate volume 1 in raid 1 then you may recreate foldera and use backup function to copy back data from folderb.  also the name of folders can be changed under folder settings while u edit the name of the folder. you cannot have same name in foldera and folderb.

cheers

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements