× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

lost access to READYNAS ULTRA 6

Shah079012
Aspirant

lost access to READYNAS ULTRA 6

Hi everyone I have a very tricky proble and I have tried a million ways to fix it. here goes

ReadyNAS Ultra6, up till recently has been active and working on my network just fine but recently would not access. To clarify..

*RaidAR picks it up and states it is "healthy"

it also shows all disks as green and presents an IP address

*however when trying to select "admin page" i see the login screen and input the usual "admin' and "password" but am not granted access to the admin portal

I have tried a 8. OS re-install: per the below link twice to no avail

https://kb.netgear.com/29770/I-can-no-longer-access-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system-after-moving-Loc...

I also follwed the process through cabling mentioned in the article and this had no effect, I could assign an I.P. and reach the admin portal but again could not log in

sporadically the Raid drive shows up in the disk menu on my PC as a IP accessable drive (I can access it here but not all folders and a lot of the files show as not accessable when I try to access them)  when selecting a file in this view I am presented a "download" window and (on the files that do work) the file downloads then is accessable.

when troubleshooting in windows I get a "windows can communicate with the name resolution server but can't find the host name" message

it would appear that the firmware on the bios may be corrupt as the os reset has not worked twice and I cant find any way to login remotely to upgrade the firmware. Firmware is 4.2.19 by the way though not really relevant as I cant find a way to upgrade it as it can only be done in the admin portal

Model: ReadyNASRNDU6320|ReadyNAS Ultra 6
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: lost access to READYNAS ULTRA 6

The default admin password for RAIDiator 4 is 'netgear1' (no quotes)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 27

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The default admin password for RAIDiator 4 is 'netgear1' (no quotes)

Message 2 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

you are a god!!!!

Im such a noob

Message 3 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I am just a man.

Glad I could help.

Message 4 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

can i please ask one more noob question?

in the steps in https://kb.netgear.com/29770/I-can-no-longer-access-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system-after-moving-Loc...

it shows a different interface to what i am looking at in Firmware 4.2.19

specifically under..

6. Change the IP address on the ReadyNAS to match the existing LAN subnet.
Go to Network > Links. Click on the gear icon beside the connected NIC and then click Settings

Go to the IPv4 tab.
Change the Configue drop down menu to Static.

I cant find where to change the I.P. to static.. and am presented with the below

sdf.png

if under the IPV4 assignment i attempt to alter to "use valuss below" and manually input the I.P. per the instructions it auto reset when i "apply", obviously I am missing the sitting to turn dynamic off but am unsure as to where it is?

Message 5 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

is it perhaps something to do with this?

sdf.png

Message 6 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

PS I have tried updating tot he newest firmware but the "check for update" uner "remote" fails and it appears there is no newer firmware version available anyway according to

http://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 7 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

if it helps also the

IP of the drive (per RaidAr) is 192.168.0.11

IP of the drive (per windows via direct cabling) is 192.168.168.168

I am still to work out what to manually assign the I.P. to as per the instructions as I am a little hazy on how the I.P. thing works according to the instructions below,.........

. Make a note of the existing IP address range that is used on the LAN. This can be done from a Windows PC which is currently working on the LAN.
Open a command prompt, Click Start > type CMD.
In CMD type ipconfig and hit enter.

In this example the existing network subnet is 192.168.1.0/24, a host IP address in the range of 192.168.1.2 through to 192.168.1.254 will allow a host access to the network.
The network subnet in your network can be different, the values used here are just for example and will not work in every network.

Message 8 of 27
StephenB
Guru

The best approach here is to reserve an address for the NAS in your router.  That combines all the benefits of the a static address with the benefits of router management.

So I'd look there first.

Don't mess with the route page.

Your screen shot shows 192.168.0.x for the ReadyNAS, but your PC is clearly using is 198.168.1.x.  So something is wrong with your overall setup.  Can you tell us more about what your network looks like (routers, access points, switches).  It looks like you might have two routers deployed (at least two DHCP servers).

Message 9 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply, set is as follows (Screenshots below)

Netgear router which is connected to the net (and functioning correctly)

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 conencted to router

Desktop PC - also connected to router

shh.png

Raidar resutls of drive when connected in the above configuration (after os reset) raidar can see the drive but the drive itself but it is no longer accessable (where it has been for years) as a drive, and wont map

erty.png

sdf.png

sdgh.png

qwer.png

Message 10 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

per the below article I have looked up adding an address to the router and have no idea how to do it as the instruction again dont match what i am seeing

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

this should not be so hard should it?  I just dont know enough about I.P and how it works and am worried if I change settings on routers or in windows that the whole damn thing will break!  Is article asking me to assign a static route like below? instruction dont match what i see....again

ghjk.png

dfghj.png

Message 11 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

and in case it helps in any further way, file sharing in windows is on (no settings have suddly changed with any windows update done in the background.  Network properties below.

ffk.png

Message 12 of 27
StephenB
Guru

The second set of screen shots are helpful, and show everything is on a 192.168.0.x network.

Don't touch the static route tables.  You keep looking there - ignore them.

Instead log into the router web page and click on the "LAN IP" in the Advanced section (right under DMZ Host).  You posted a screen shot of this earlier, the main section (leaving the left menus off) looks like this:

CG3100D reservation.png

You enter the ReadyNAS MAC address into the MAC address fields.  From your screenshot of the ReadyNAS, that is 00:1F:33:EA:CE:D1.  You'll need to enter each character pair into its own box (a bit awkward, but that's the way it's set up).

Next you enter the current IP address of the NAS into the IP address field right under the mac address.  That is 192.168.0.11 

There is an "add" button right underneath - after you've entered the fields, and checked them you click on it.  That should be all you need to do. 

The Router will then assign the NAS 192.168.0.11 every time, so the address won't change.

One question: your screen shot shows a static IP address of 192.168.0.200 at the bottom.  Do you know what this device is?

FWIW, your ReadyNAS firmware is pretty old (the current software is 4.2.30).  After you get the address reserved, you might want to update it.

Message 13 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

hello and thanks again for your reply, managed to add the details you listed and they went in successfully however i am now looking at the below (ps no idea what that statis I.P is in that list)

I had to re-boot all devices as the NAS dissappeared from view of RAIDar when it finally came back to view it returned the below I.P.

*I will happily remove the ..200 static I.P in teh list but i cant for the life of me work out how to do it

*adding the maual I.P. into the router did not get the NAS to show up

*only outcome so far is the NAS has returned to its "system default" I.P. address (I beliee thats what 192.168.168.168 is)

asdf.png

dfgh.png

Message 14 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

I will try updating to 4.2.30 to see if that helps at all (what the hell, nothing else is working) I do appreciate your help, apologies for the frustration

Message 15 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

ok... so after doing the os re-install (4th time now), its the only thing that actually works to get raidar to see 192.168.0.11, i now cant access the admin page (via raidar link or manually typing in the web address) though the locate button makes the lights flash o the front yippie (wait a minute that does not help me at all)

so now i have zero idea how to actually get access to the login screen as i have changed ip addresses and stuff and it appears that has screwed stuff up more, at leat the internet still works.. for now

Message 16 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

You may have a firewall blocking it.  You may have allowed access to the old IP address but have not yet done so with the new one.

Message 17 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

should have mentioned before, windows firewall is off

Message 18 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

READYNAS ULTRA 6, firmware 4.2.19, windows 10 OS

Ok so here is the entire story in pictures and every step as I do it

To begin

Setup- Netgear Router (internet working and enabled) ReadyNAS Ultra 6 connected to router, PC connected to router

Problem: 1. NAS drive is no longer accessable (has worked for years, status is healthy when Raidar does work)

2. Raidar not recognising drive (usually fixed by OS re-install and if that does not work reset network adapter in windows (this does not fix the drive visibility)) per 8. OS re-install: https://kb.netgear.com/29770/I-can-no-longer-access-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system-after-moving-Loc...

3. as suggested by a previous post attempted firmware update to RAIDiator-x86-4.2.30 http://kb.netgear.com/31196/RAIDiator-x86-Version-4-2-30 when using “local” method as “remote” attempt fails.

remote.png

When attempting to install the update receive error message “not valid for this architecture”

architecture.png

4. per previous preious post in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/READYNAS-ULTRA-6/m-p/1238470#M125893

successfully added I.P. address to list

You enter the ReadyNAS MAC address into the MAC address fields.  From your screenshot of the ReadyNAS, that is 00:1F:33:EA:CE:D1.  You'll need to enter each character pair into its own box (a bit awkward, but that's the way it's set up). Next you enter the current IP address of the NAS into the IP address field right under the mac address.  That is 192.168.0.11 There is an "add" button right underneath - after you've entered the fields, and checked them you click on it.  That should be all you need to do. The Router will then assign the NAS 192.168.0.11 every time, so the address won't change. One question: your screen shot shows a static IP address of 192.168.0.200 at the bottom.  Do you know what this device is? FWIW, your ReadyNAS firmware is pretty old (the current software is 4.2.30).  After you get the address reserved, you might want to update it.

gateway.png

The addition of this address did not remedy the drive visibility either, in fact it disabled visibility on Raidar so had to do OS re-install and start from the beginning.

*I.P. on NAS did change from 192.168.0.11 to 192.168.0.5 after the I.P. was manually added

newip.png

nas.png

Ethernet and PC properties below

cmd.png

ethernet.png

Message 19 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Should be fixed. Your ReadyDLNA log and cache filled the 4GB root volume.

Message 20 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

i can see it is re-booting now i will leave it to complete, many thanks for your assistance, however this has not remedied the issue, is there something i am missing. below is what i recieved

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

however when attempting to map the drive or using my exisitng link in windows the NAS still does not appear (raidar does show it though as per above) from the images below you can see the old drive assignment in red and the nas not mapping

remote.png

Message 21 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

Still have the same issue I had to start “windows can communicate with the name resolution server but can’t find the host name”

error.png

Message 22 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Replaced the SMB config file with the default one and now the share is accessible over SMB.

Message 23 of 27
Shah079012
Aspirant

such a legend, the remote login and update of firmware and fixing the 4 gig volume that was full & the SMB thing (whatever that is) worked, sounds like some back end stuff that i could never hae done by the sounds. if it is somehting i could do though (and perhaps to inform others if they hae issues) is there a resource i can follow ?

Message 24 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Log rotation has been improved since 4.2.19 so hopefully the root volume on your system won't fill again.

If it does then one needs to find what's filled it and deal with that then check config files to see if they have been corrupted (due to the full root volume) and if so deal with that.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements