× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102, OS 6.4.2: File system appears to be running slowly

peterkin
Guide

RN102, OS 6.4.2: File system appears to be running slowly

Good morning. I seem to be having some performance issues with my RN102. It's got a pair of 1TB WD Reds in it (XRAID) and it's showing the following symptoms:

- Volume scrub is taking a long time. After a day it's still only around 30% done. The volume is about two thirds full (537 GB used, 364GB remaining, various file sizes). I can remember scrub only taking four hours, with a half-full volume.

- When transferring large files (ISOs, mostly) to my desktop (via 1GB Ethernet, and it has a 1TB SSD, runs W7 Ultimate x64) older files download at around 65MB/sec, newer ones at around 45MB/sec). This is despite having defragged the volume.

- Some large folders won't open over SMB unless I turn off virus checking - they time out. I'm sure that wasn't the case in the past.

Is there something wrong with BTRFS? Am I going to have to do a factory restore and reload my data and config from backups? Or is there a shell command that will fix things for me?

Thanks for reading this far.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Wait for the scrub to finish and then retest.

I don't think anything is wrong.  A scrub reads all the files and metadata in the volume, and that can take a while.  If you have disk spindown enabled, you should probably disable it (I think the disk can spin down during a scrub).

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello peterkin,

May I ask what FW version are you running on the NAS? Please also disable AntiVirus and see if there's any difference.

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The firmware version is in the thread title.

If disabling the Anti-Virus service (under System > Settings > Services) does not resolve it please send us your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Which services and apps are you running?

Message 3 of 11
peterkin
Guide

If disabling the Anti-Virus service (under System > Settings > Services) does not resolve it please send us your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Will do. I disabled the AV before starting the scrub as it was the only way I could access the folder I was trying to open.

Which services and apps are you running?

Services - SMB, SSH, UPnP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS

Apps - SMBPlus, Anti-Virus Plus and istat

Forgot to mention - SMART data indicates that both hard disks are OK. Both have 0 ATA errors.

Message 4 of 11
cpu8088
Virtuoso

running slow can be the volume usage is over 70%

also try disable and delete snapshots

Message 5 of 11
peterkin
Guide

My volume is just under 60% full, so I wouldn't expect a problem there. The folder in question had more that 50 snapshots. I have deleted all except the latest and set snapshots to weekly, but it has made no apparent difference. I don't want to turn off snapshots as they're a key benefit of BTRFS for me.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Wait for the scrub to finish and then retest.

I don't think anything is wrong.  A scrub reads all the files and metadata in the volume, and that can take a while.  If you have disk spindown enabled, you should probably disable it (I think the disk can spin down during a scrub).

Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you been able to check performance after the scrubbing completed yet?

Message 8 of 11
peterkin
Guide

Yes - after scrubbing I balanced and defragged the system. Scrubbing speeded up as it went along, so that the whole operation finished in just over 24 hours.

The system is usable so long as I keep AV turned off. I'm still seeing large older files downloading to my desktop about 10MB/sec slower than newer ones and the speed is nothing to write home about at 30ish MB/sec for newer files and 40ish MB/sec for older files. I'm sure it used to be nearly twice as fast as this.

As I say, the system is usable. Is it likely that I could improve the speed by factory resetting the box, reformatting the drives and restoring from backup?

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@peterkin wrote:

Yes - after scrubbing I balanced and defragged the system. Scrubbing speeded up as it went along, so that the whole operation finished in just over 24 hours.

The system is usable so long as I keep AV turned off. I'm still seeing large older files downloading to my desktop about 10MB/sec slower than newer ones and the speed is nothing to write home about at 30ish MB/sec for newer files and 40ish MB/sec for older files. I'm sure it used to be nearly twice as fast as this.

As I say, the system is usable. Is it likely that I could improve the speed by factory resetting the box, reformatting the drives and restoring from backup?

Not sure why older files would have a different speed than newer ones.

However, I was seeing similar speeds with my RN102, and after the factory reset I was getting 70-75 MB/sec again.  

Message 10 of 11
peterkin
Guide

I'll have a think about whether the prospective advantage of a speed increase justifies the hassle of a factory reset and config and data restore.

Thanks for your help.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements