× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102 crashes on hotswap

mfriedm1987
Tutor

RN102 crashes on hotswap

Hi - I started getting the "increased uncorrectable error count" message on one of my drives, so picked up a new WD 2TB to swap out. However, as soon as I pulled out the drive, the RN hung - I couldn't access the admin page. Undeterred, I put the new drive in and heard it spun up, but the admin page never became accessible again. When I pressed the power button there was no response. I power cycled and the admin page never popped up... the system never finished booting.

I replaced the original drive and did a hard boot (pulled the power). This brought the system back to life, but it had to resync the drive.

I tried again today and had the same behavior... pull the drive, system hangs, replace the drive, requests a resync. I'm currently resyncing again.

Any idea on how I can get my system to accept a new drive? I'm guessing just pulling the drive shouldn't crash the whole system, given that it's supposed to be hot-swap friendly.

Thanks in advance.

Max

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Your disk 1 has some bad sectors as well, which is causing the resync to abort.  They may be repairable using SeaTools, but it's unlikely.  If SeaTools can't fix it, you'll need another replacement disk to replace disk 1.  Then you'd need to duplicate your current disk 1 to a new disk, skipping any unreadable sectors.  There are tools like GNU ddrescue that are very good at that.

Message 2 of 5
mfriedm1987
Tutor

So sea tools seems to have successfully fixed the bad sectors and the resync went through successfully. Is it now safe to swap out my failing drive for my new one?
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mfriedm1987 wrote:
So sea tools seems to have successfully fixed the bad sectors and the resync went through successfully. Is it now safe to swap out my failing drive for my new one?

Yes, though if the remaining drive fails during the resync you could lose your volume.  So a backup is always recommended when you are manipulating disks.

Message 4 of 5
mfriedm1987
Tutor

So in the end the first drive (the one I didn't think was bad) refused to boot even after a resync (the whole system hung), but the drive with more bad sectors worked fine so I resynced on to a new drive off of that, then resynced off my new drive so I have two new drives in the machine. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements