× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104: Defrag freezes NAS

ViktorN
Tutor

RN104: Defrag freezes NAS

Readynas 104, 4 × WD red (2TB each, 100 % conditioon, S.M.A.R.T. is OK), latest firmware 6.8.0, about  only 16 % of capacity is loaded.
Freezes after running defrag. The same problem in older versions as well.
Button doesn't work, display is black, just leds of disks are flashing and I can hear that disks are working (maybe with defrag routine). Web page of Readynas doesn't work, ping doesn't answer.
LOG is free of any error:
Tue Aug 22 2017 19:45:56 System: Set locale to en-us.
Tue Aug 22 2017 19:45:32 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Tue Aug 22 2017 19:45:07 Volume: Resyncing started for Volume data.
Tue Aug 22 2017 19:45:03 System: ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.
Tue Aug 22 2017 15:44:29 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 58.23696.
Tue Aug 22 2017 13:19:53
Volume: Defragmentation started for volume data.
Tue Aug 22 2017 0:00:13 Snapshot: Snapshot c_1503352811 was successfully created for share or LUN Záloha.
Mon Aug 21 2017 16:24:22 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104: Defrag freezes NAS

DId you check the disk health (disk_info.log and smart_history.log)?

Message 2 of 9
ViktorN
Tutor

yes, did you read the first line of my post? "2TB each, 100 % condition, S.M.A.R.T. is OK"

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ViktorN wrote:

yes, did you read the first line of my post? "2TB each, 100 % condition, S.M.A.R.T. is OK"

"OK" is to some degree subjective.  If you are seeing any pending sectors, reallocated sectors, or uncorrectable errors you might be running into issues.

If it's not the disks, then there are a couple of other causes

-the file system itself might have some corruption

-the file system might not have enough free space

-the system might be running low on memory.

Perhaps try a scrub, and then a balance.  You could also try turning off the volume quota, and perhaps AntiVirus.

Message 4 of 9
ViktorN
Tutor

Thanks for your answer. And please, first read carefully what I wrote.

ad ""OK" is to some degree subjective.  If you are seeing any pending sectors, reallocated sectors, or uncorrectable errors you might be running into issues.":  OK, than again: S.M.A.R.T. has no any error report and it means 0 ATA error count, 0 relocated sectors and events, 0 spin retry count and etc. — shortly and simply  — SMART of all disks is OK and without any errors!!! And "0" really means zero!

ad "-the file system itself might have some corruption": hm, but who or what corrupted file system?  There is ReadyNAS OS only what is using this file system and disks...

ad "-the file system might not have enough free space": I wrotte "only 16 % of capacity is loaded" and it means that 932 GB are data, 15,9 GB snapshots and 4,52 TB empty space! Is that the moment if you could say there is not enough free disk space?

ad "-the file system might not have enough free space": what? Oh this is very nice point — How can I influence memory usage in a proprietary OS on proprietary HW?

There are no any volume qutas and Antivirus is only one application (from NETGEAR official plugin) what is running. There is no other application or plugin instaled in this system…

If I do "maintenance", there is no other access to ReadyNAS disks. I always do first SCRUB, then BALANCE and at last DEFRAG — once per month, although this disk array is used only as "read only" in 99.99 % cases…

Any other solution? Maybe I should light a candle? Or pour holy water into all the vents? Or buy new disks and change all disks in ReadyNAS? 🙂
What I found on this forum is that this ReadyNAS freezes itself much more often than would be acceptable as an exception.…

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Note I don't work for Netgear.  

I read what you wrote, and explained why I poked more specifically at disk heath.  Now I've done that, so we can all rule that out.

I listed general things I know of that could impact defrag performance.  I agree that free space is ruled out.  iMO opinion the mostly likely cause is filesystem corruption, but trying the defrag with A/V off is simple to do, and worth trying.

@ViktorN wrote:

What I found on this forum is that this ReadyNAS freezes itself much more often than would be acceptable as an exception.…

I agree there have too many cases of lost access and broken volumes  Yours seems a bit unusual - I don't recall seeing very many cases of lockups during defrag.

Message 6 of 9
ViktorN
Tutor

Thank you very much for your time, Stephen. I will do again next steps (although there is only 16% of the data, it will take up to one or two days) :

1) clean all snapshots

2) scrub

3) balance

4) defrag with A/V off

But I have got just one question — please what is "A/V" option and where I find on/off check box of this option? And how can I find that filesystem is broken or corupted when all logs and SMART reports are OK and ReadyNAS system claims me that everything is absolutaly nice, happy, sunny, green light and excelent condition... …and how can I repair it? 🙂

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ViktorN wrote:

But I have got just one question — please what is "A/V" option and where I find on/off check box of this option?

A/V - AntiVirus.  You disable it via the admin web ui in system->settings->services

@ViktorN wrote:

And how can I find that filesystem is broken or corupted when all logs and SMART reports are OK and ReadyNAS system claims me that everything is absolutaly nice, happy, sunny, green light and excelent condition... …and how can I repair it? 🙂

There often is more information in btrfs.log and kernel.log that might be useful.

Repairs would require ssh.

Another option is to back up your NAS, and do a factory reset.  Then rebuild it, and restore the data from the backup.  This is of course brute-force, but it does ensure a completely clean system, with no corruption due to unexpected power cuts, bugs, etc.

Message 8 of 9
ViktorN
Tutor

I see you mean A/V is antivirus, of course I know where to turn it off/on. 😄

It was misunderstanding, "A/V" is often used for audio/video and I have got there some audio and video files in DLNA folder…

This evening I start maintenance of RAID (scrub, balance and defrag) and then I will see. There is no reason for corrupted filesystem. That would make no sense, because the device is little used. I'll let you know the result.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements