× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 Loses data and gives "inactive volume" #26048355

gnubee
Guide

RN104 Loses data and gives "inactive volume" #26048355

Have trouble after upgrade to 6.4.0.  Data appears gone, but gives "inactive volume" error.  Contacted customer support and they were no help.  Said it was a drive failure, although there was only one warning with a relatively count. Is there a way to recover this data?   I'm not paying 100's of dollars to attempt data recovery, I will restart with a somewhat aged backup and chalk it up to experience, but I figured I give it one last try to get the data back.  I thought the Ready NAS was going to solve problems not create them.  The previous solution (weekly backups) was a much more linear approach.

Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN104 Loses data and gives "inactive volume" #26048355

Your logs from 15th November show two WD RED 4TB disks whose ATA error counts increased on the 7th November. This indicates that they both failed to respond to commands when the NAS tried to access them and may be a sign that those disks are failing. As a result both of these disks dropped out of the array.

If you want to recover your data then a data recovery attempt would be the way forward assuming that you have no backup, but as you said in your post above the data is not important enough to you for that.

No important data should be stored on just the one device. See Preventing Catastrophic Data Loss

Note that if data is stored primarily on your PC, then the copy on the NAS is a backup. However data that is only stored on your NAS is not backed up.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements