× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 - Moving Files painfully slow.

creesy
Aspirant

RN104 - Moving Files painfully slow.

I must be doing something wrong because when i transfer files between folders and shares on the nas using the web interface its taking up to 10 minutes to transfer 10gb.

I would have thought this would be alot quicker should it only be remapping a path not copy the files?

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 - Moving Files painfully slow.

Each share is a btrfs subvolume.   Moves across share boundaries turn into copy+delete, and are not just path changes.

Message 2 of 4
creesy
Aspirant

So in future say for instance with media downloads from transmission i should get them to save in the same share and it will be quick to move them to there destination folder?i

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@creesy wrote:

So in future say for instance with media downloads from transmission i should get them to save in the same share and it will be quick to move them to there destination folder?i

If they are downloaded into the final share, then moving them will be a true move.  You'd need to keep snapshots off on the share (since transmission is not snapshot-friendly).

It is possible to do a true move between subvolumes with ssh (using a --reflink option).  Someone from Netgear suggested that this might be implemented in the future.  Perhaps you could post a request in "Ideas for Storage"

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements