× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 Web GUI not available

TonyHughes
Aspirant

RN104 Web GUI not available

Did the latest update to the OS, all worked fine for about a week, but then the GUI stopped allowing access.  RAIDar shows the device as not there.

All my data was still available through Finder on my Mac, Explorer on the Windows laptop, and through the Readycoud app on my iPad.  It also shows up in the Mac widget.

I tried the OS reinstall, and still had no luck accessing the GUI.

Next I powered it down, removed the disks (to protect the data) and restored to factory settings.  Once that was done I restarted the ReadyNAS, scanned with RAIDar which found the NAS and the GUI worked fine although all the settings including Readycloud were gone.

I powered the system down, reinstalled the disks in the order they came out, re-powered the system which rebuilt the RAID set.  Only thing is RAIDar and the GUI stopped working again, and I have now lost my readycloud settings as well. 

I have tried accessing the NAS over my network, and connected directly to a laptop.

I have tried accessing the GUI using IE on a Windows PC and Opera, Safari and Firefox with a Mac.

Any idea what I need to do to get the interface back?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN104 Web GUI not available

@TonyHughes wrote:

Next I powered it down, removed the disks (to protect the data) and restored to factory settings.  Once that was done I restarted the ReadyNAS, scanned with RAIDar which found the NAS and the GUI worked fine although all the settings including Readycloud were gone.

I powered the system down, reinstalled the disks in the order they came out, re-powered the system which rebuilt the RAID set.  Only thing is RAIDar and the GUI stopped working again, and I have now lost my readycloud settings as well. 

I have tried accessing the NAS over my network, and connected directly to a laptop.

I have tried accessing the GUI using IE on a Windows PC and Opera, Safari and Firefox with a Mac.

The sole tasks of a factory reset is to wipe the disks, wiping all data, settings, everything, and then to create the partitions, setup the RAID and create a new root volume and data volume, and install the OS. With the disks removed, a factory reset achieves nothing.

@TonyHughes wrote:

Once that was done I restarted the ReadyNAS, scanned with RAIDar which found the NAS and the GUI worked fine although all the settings including Readycloud were gone.

The system booted into the new safe mode added in 6.9.3. It would have informed you of the error that no disks were detected.

@TonyHughes wrote:

Putting the disks back in would have brought things back to how they were before, albeit perhaps with new problems as you have observed. 

@TonyHughes wrote:

Can you download the logs using RAIDar and then send those in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 6
TonyHughes
Aspirant

I can't download the log files because RAIDar can't see the readynas.

I get what a factory reset is for, but I bought the NAS to be a backup repository for all my data, if I wanted to delete it all I would have left the disks in.  What I wanted to do was prove that the GUI worked (ie the NAS wasn't faulty)   The fact the NAS worked proved that there isn't a fault, it also proved to me that at least some of the OS is stored in memory in the unit, and not all on my disks.

Is there any way to get the log files without using Raidar

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@TonyHughes wrote:

it also proved to me that at least some of the OS is stored in memory in the unit, and not all on my disks.

Safe mode (and the diagnostics in the boot menu) are in the flash.  But when the system boots normally, the entire OS is on the disks (in the OS partition).  Your particular symptoms are almost always the result of issues with the OS partition.

@TonyHughes wrote:

I can't download the log files because RAIDar can't see the readynas.

Do you have internet security software running on the PC?  The discovery protocol uses broadcast UDP packets, and sometimes firewall/security software blocks them.  It's also conceivable that your router is filtering them out if you are using WiFi in the PC.

You could potentially gather troubleshooting info if you have SSH enabled/working.  But when the web ui fails, you'd need RAIDar.

Note you could also use paid support (my.netgear.com), using the tech support boot option.  However, Netgear would charge.

Message 4 of 6
TonyHughes
Aspirant

How do you reboot to safe mode?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@TonyHughes wrote:

How do you reboot to safe mode?

There's no manual way to do that - the system will do it on its own (with no way to override it's decision).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements