× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 connecting to the Internet

Scionic
Aspirant

RN104 connecting to the Internet

I have a pair of RN104s, both running firmware 6.4.1.  I've noticed in my firewall logs that both of them are attempting to connect to the Internet, attempting to connect to what appear to be Amazon Web Services IPs on both port 80 and 443.  They are extremely chatty about it, my firewall logs are spammed with attempts to hit a number of different IPs.  I've gone through and disabled every service in the NAS that could possibly require a connection outside my network, and have gone so far as to deny these two devices access to the Internet.  I'm generally not a very security-conscious guy, but I don't really see why a NAS that is only accessible by devices within my network should need to reach out to the Internet for anything at all.  Can anyone help me shed light on just what these devices are trying to do?

FWIW, both seem to exhibit the firmware 6.4.1/Win10 slowness issue that others have noticed, but it doesn't bother me so much.

Message 1 of 6
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

ReadyCLOUD does a discover request up to readycloud.netgear.com -- this is to be able to discover your NAS from ReadyCLOUD. If not, then you use RAIDar or the LCD to find your NAS on the local network. 

Another one of the possibilities is due to some upcoming functionality that'll change in 6.5.0. This functionality validates serial number and firmware version for auth to Cloud services. Even with all Cloud services off, this process still seems to be active.

Your RN104 slowness is likely caused by antivirus; we have a known issue on this that we're investigating.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@kohdee wrote:

Another one of the possibilities is due to some upcoming functionality that'll change in 6.5.0. This functionality validates serial number and firmware version for auth to Cloud services. Even with all Cloud services off, this process still seems to be active.

IMO there shouldn't be any communication at all with ReadyCloud if the service is off.  Doing anything else is just asking for trouble at some point.

Message 3 of 6
Scionic
Aspirant

I agree with StephenB, and this was my point. I'm not the paranoid type, but there is no reason why a NAS full of private information should be reaching out to anything on the Internet without my express consent. I understand your point to the various cloud services, and that's fine if I was using them. However, with all cloud services disabled, it should "go dark" as far as Netgear's services go.
Message 4 of 6
Scionic
Aspirant

So is there a definite answer for this?  All cloud services are disabled on my RN104s, yet my firewall, which is blocking all traffic between the Internet and these devices, reports something like 1.7 million attempts in the last 3 weeks to reach the Internet.  What is it doing, and how do I shut it off?

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send us your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements