× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 frozen now will not boot

Davexyz2
Aspirant

RN104 frozen now will not boot

This is the second time in 2 weeks this has happened and I am stilling sorting the first one out. I was transferring files to my readynas104 (4x 4TB WD RED firmware 6.2.5) and as it close to "full" 600GB free space. The system then froze. "Device offline" I could not login. The power button on front of unit did not turn the machine so after waiting 2 hours for the machine to "Clear" had no option but to remove power.

Then suspecting exactly what would happen after the last time, the unit is stuck on "booting" but then says retry startup. So did an o/s install but sits there screen say booting updating f/w, Blue power light flashing but nothing going on. Then drops back to retry startup.

Is there a way of installing the os from a flashdrive?

I do not want to factory reset I have no backup as the backup machine is holding the full back of the nas that I am restoring now due to the same issue I think another user had a similar issue and Stevenb or mdgm said that it was a corrupt data table the ssh'ed in and fixed it but I assume that i would have to go into tech mode as now the unit will not boot. This was o recently on the "old" forum but I now cannot find this post on this new forum.

Help please I am just about finished fixing this on my other nas and do want to go down the long road  of resetting and reloading all this data if I can restore the partion table info.  If instructions are posted I could attempt myself

I will get another 4 drives to factory reset the unit  but that will take 3 weeks and keep the old drives to put back in I Know that they are not damaged it is a software issue whcih has losst the "partiton" info.

These machines have now become very finicky about power loss and I do have a ups

Message 1 of 12
Davexyz2
Aspirant

Tried  booting in Read only mode drops into restart ....

RAIDar notes that partial reset of firmware has occurred as ip address has changed, NAme of Unit still my given name, but no volume and  showing all 4 discs but says management service is offline

Tried editing my original post but edit button not available this time around!

Message 2 of 12
Davexyz2
Aspirant

I am having to reply to my own posts as I cannot seem to edit!

Anyway

By removing disk 4, the system now boots but shows on the  volume page,  disks 1, 2 & 3 in red with the message "Please remove inactive volumes to use the disks"

Now this is what the other poster had and I believe it was Stephenb sent a pm  for ssh access and the poster then said all my data is back what did you do? The reply was that the file table or similar to this was messed up and It was restored  by delving into linux code.

So If this could be done for me or the instructions posted so I can attempt this myself please.

Message 3 of 12
Davexyz2
Aspirant

It boots if if remove either disk , 2, 3 or 4 .

so a 3 disc degraded raid 5.

Volume page indicates two volumes data and data-1

using putty and running lsblk -o name,type,size,fstype,mountpoint

gives this output
NAME TYPE SIZE FSTYPE MOUNTPOINT
mtdblock0 disk 1.5M
mtdblock1 disk 128K
mtdblock2 disk 6M
mtdblock3 disk 4M
mtdblock4 disk 116M
sda disk 3.7T
ââsda1 part 4G linux_raid_member
â ââmd0 raid1 4G ext4 /
ââsda2 part 512M linux_raid_member
â ââmd1 raid1 511.4M swap [SWAP]
ââsda3 part 2.7T linux_raid_member
ââsda4 part 931.5G linux_raid_member
sdb disk 3.7T
ââsdb1 part 4G linux_raid_member
â ââmd0 raid1 4G ext4 /
ââsdb2 part 512M linux_raid_member
ââsdb3 part 2.7T linux_raid_member
ââsdb4 part 931.5G linux_raid_member
sdc disk 3.7T
ââsdc1 part 4G linux_raid_member
â ââmd0 raid1 4G ext4 /
ââsdc2 part 512M linux_raid_member
ââsdc3 part 2.7T linux_raid_member
ââsdc4 part 931.5G linux_raid_member

The accented caharacters are the actual output

So from my completly linux free experiencce  it would seem that the RAID Volume  is there but messed up

The question is can it be  "repaired"  using

btrfs check --repair

to repair "all" devices

this is from the reaadynas logs as I have managed to get in  lsblk.log

NAME FSTYPE LABEL MOUNTPOINT
loop0
loop1
loop2
loop3
loop4
loop5
loop6
loop7
mtdblock0
mtdblock1
mtdblock2
mtdblock3
mtdblock4
sda
├─sda1 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:0
│ └─md0 ext4 5dbf1a82:root /
├─sda2 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:1
│ └─md1 swap swap [SWAP]
├─sda3 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:data-0
└─sda4 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:data-1
sdb
├─sdb1 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:0
├─sdb2 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:1
│ └─md1 swap swap [SWAP]
├─sdb3 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:data-0
└─sdb4 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:data-1
sdc
├─sdc1 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:0
├─sdc2 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:1
│ └─md1 swap swap [SWAP]
├─sdc3 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:data-0
└─sdc4 linux_raid_member 5dbf1a82:data-1
md127

Can anyone help please?

Message 4 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

It was probably mdgm who helped you last time, he may be around later.

Posts are not open for editing after they have been read by someone.

Message 5 of 12
Davexyz2
Aspirant

I have carried out a search  on the forum but cannot find the other post but can across this  about recovering a btrfs file system using a desktop

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-Data-Recovery-How-to-Mount-BTRFS-Volumes/m...

now whilst it does not help directly it does indicate that my data devices and therefore data is held on sdb3 and sdb4

so if i could repair these  I might get something back or if I could read the data of using btrfs restore?

However I have no linux skills just what I have gleaned from looking at similar issues

There are no errors on the disks at all so nothing is failing I can send logs .  It happened purely because the system completley froze, no disk activity lights flashing and would not turn off  via the power button.

As I mentoned this happened on another 104 about 3 weeks ago just finishing reconstructing this now.  I am worried as I have a a few more 104's and cannot have this happen again and again

Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig). You should still be able to use RAIDar 6.0 to download the logs if the management service is offline.

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs.

I have sent you a PM

Message 8 of 12
bvisir
Aspirant

Three times this week I had to pull the power to restart the RN104 and it seems to work fine until the next day. Latest firmware installed 6.2.5. Have downloaded the logs and will email to mdgm if he would please have a look to see if anything is revealed therein.

Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can see you are using both MySQL and the Dropbox backup functionality as well as anti-virus. You are trying to do quite a lot with this NAS. Can you try turning off some of these and see if it still freezes. I can see lots of log messages regarding the Dropbox backup of files.

Message 10 of 12
bvisir
Aspirant

Thank you mdgm. I turned off both anti-virus and dropbox and will see next week how it is. I will report accordingly.

Message 11 of 12
bvisir
Aspirant

Stopping the Dropbox sync and antivirus seems to have done the trick and the RN104 is back to normal. Thank you mdgm for excellent advice.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements