× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104: "No Volume Exists" error

freakout
Star

RN104: "No Volume Exists" error

Hello all,

Came home from a trip this weekend to find that I could not copy files to my ReadyNAS from my PC. I assumed the ReadyNAS just needed a reboot, and rebooted it. Upon rebooting I found that I could not see any of my data at all. When I click into various parts of the admin page I am told "No Volume Exists". All drives are showing red, but apparently healthy (IE no errors) on the Volumes tab. In the log, the only anomalous entry is from Monday (five days ago):

Oct 15, 2018 12:01:37 AM

Volume: The volume data encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data.

Logging in via SSH and checking dmesg, I can also see the following errors:

[   35.861010] BTRFS critical (device md127): unable to find logical 24699135590 4 len 4096

[   35.861226] BTRFS error (device md127): failed to read chunk root
[   35.892692] BTRFS error (device md127): open_ctree failed

Does anybody know what's going on and how I can recover from this? Or am I completely screwed?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104: "No Volume Exists" error

Your file system is corrupted.  If you have no backup then you will need data recovery to (hopefully) get your data back.

Netgear offers a service: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service 

So does Seagate, though I haven't seen any posts here from anyone who has used it: https://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/raid-data-recovery-master-ti/

You could also try ReclaiMe software: https://www.reclaime.com/

Message 2 of 4
freakout
Star

Thanks Stephen. I'm actually running ReclaiMe right now and it can see all the files on the drives as I individually connect them to my PC, although the folder names for many of them are quite jumbled.

Since the cost of a ReclaiMe license is basically equivalent to what it would cost me to have Netgear attempt a fix, I think I'm going to have to just rebuild everything myself.

This is quite disappointing though - it just seemed to happen completely out of the blue. Are there any known methods for checking why/how this happened? Aside from an issue with a firmware update three years ago, my ReadyNAS has been issue-free and I'd like to think it will stay that way.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@freakout wrote:

Since the cost of a ReclaiMe license is basically equivalent to what it would cost me to have Netgear attempt a fix, I think I'm going to have to just rebuild everything myself.

Others here have also reached that conclusion, and most have reported good results.

@freakout wrote:

This is quite disappointing though - it just seemed to happen completely out of the blue. Are there any known methods for checking why/how this happened? 

After you offload the files, you could reinsert the disks in the NAS and download the log zipfile.  Look at disk_info.log and look at the SMART statistics there.  System.log, kernel.log, and dmesg.log might have some clues.  You could PM a netgear mod here and ask if they are willing to review your logs.  It's ok to post snippets of your logs publicly, but don't post links to your full log zip file. 

RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  Personally I have a backup plan in place for my data, so I am always able to restore the data from a backup with minimal data loss.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements