× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 update 6.2.4 -> 6.2.5 stuck in update loop

ithalmann
Aspirant

RN104 update 6.2.4 -> 6.2.5 stuck in update loop

Hi community,

since its availablity I try to upgrade my RN104 firmware from 6.2.4 to 6.2.5. The uprade process seems to work fine when started by choosing update in the notice dialogue that is presented in the adminstrator page. The new firmware is downloaded and the nas reboots. However after reboot it still run FW 6.2.4 and the update dialogue appears again. A manual installation of the new firmware on the settings page does not work either.

What can be done

Thanks a lot

Ingo

Message 1 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ithalmann,

Make sure that you have a backup of the data stored in your NAS.  A few questions below:

a. What browser did you use when you did a manual upgrade of the firmware of the RN104?  

b. Have you tried other browsers like Firefox or Safari?

c. Is the PC/laptop you have used when you did a manual upgrade of the firmware of the RN104 connected via a wired connection?

I look forward to your response.  Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 2 of 14
ithalmann
Aspirant

H DaneA,

thanks for your reply.

(a) Initially I used Safari, then Firefox with a clear cache

(b) see (a)

(c) The NAS is integrated in a wired network. Both the Computer and the NAS are connected to the same switch.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Ingo

Message 3 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ithalmann,

Thank you for your response.

What if you try to use Google Chrome?  Also, try to connect your NAS directly to the PC then update the firmware manually.  

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking this is not a browser problem.  Rather, that there might be an issue with the OS partition or flash.

Message 5 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 6 of 14
noemail
Aspirant

Try disabling (or unistalling, just reinstall them later) the apps on your NAS (as well as the built-in antivirus) then upload the FW again. I read it somewhere that the apps share the same partition as the OS, could be that the OS partition does not have enough resources to update the FW.

Can't be sure if OS reinstall helps but I'd try if I were you, there's nothing to lose anyway. I'd recommend you download the logs first if you want to do it as OS reinstall seems to delete the logs. Btw, OS reinstall will also reset the admin password and network settings.

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@noemail wrote:

Try disabling (or unistalling, just reinstall them later) the apps on your NAS (as well as the built-in antivirus) then upload the FW again. I read it somewhere that the apps share the same partition as the OS, could be that the OS partition does not have enough resources to update the FW.

Can't be sure if OS reinstall helps but I'd try if I were you, there's nothing to lose anyway. I'd recommend you download the logs first if you want to do it as OS reinstall seems to delete the logs. Btw, OS reinstall will also reset the admin password and network settings.

You should wait for mdgm's response (after he reads your logs) before doing anything.  I don't recommend an OS reinstall, and I don't think you should continue to try updating the firmware at present.

In general, automatically trying OS reinstall every time you see bad behavior is not the best idea.  There's a tendency here to recommend it too often - there is some risk, especially in cases where the OS partition is overfull or the flash is corrupted.

Message 8 of 14
ithalmann
Aspirant

Thank you for your sugestions. Sorry for not having answered yet. I have not had access to my NAS the last couple of days. I will send the logs as soon as I am back.

Ingo

Message 9 of 14
chemist3
Aspirant

I have the same problem on my RN104 (4x4tb HDD)

when the NAS restarts it try to update from 6.2.4 to 6.2.5 while doing the update it says FW checksum error

is there any solution?

Message 10 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have sent you a PM.

Message 11 of 14
ithalmann
Aspirant

Unfortunatelly I haven't got your PM

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@ithalmann wrote:

Unfortunatelly I haven't got your PM

Perhaps you should contact support.

Message 13 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chemist3,

It seems that your concern is different from ithalmann.  Do you have a backup of all the data in your NAS?  Kindly post a screenshot of the FW checksum error.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements