× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re : RN104 upgraded firmware 6.1.8 to 6.4.0 resulting in 'Booting...'

owf
Aspirant
Aspirant

RN104 upgraded firmware 6.1.8 to 6.4.0 resulting in 'Booting...'

I did the upgrade via web admin page an after that the system hangs with display message 'Booting...'. A restart by disconnectiing power ends at the same point.

What to do now?

How to make a USB Boot Recovery?

Kind regards

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
owf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Solved: RN104 upgraded firmware 6.1.8 to 6.4.0 resulting in 'Booting...'

This morning i got an email from Netgear asking me to complete a RMA request to send the box back to Netgear.

But in the meanwhile i tried to make the firmware update again using the USB Recovery Tool as explained in http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29952. And it worked.

Thanks to gramoun for that useful hint.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
gramoun
Aspirant

Re : RN104 upgraded firmware 6.1.8 to 6.4.0 resulting in 'Booting...'

Hi

I have same problem with a RN10400.

Solution for usb recovery is here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/RN104-Stuck-quot-Booting-quot-after-automatic-6...

Actually, doesnt work for me, i cant start usb boot

i ve posted here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/After-update-firmware-6-4-0-RN10400-doesnt-boot...

Good luck

Message 2 of 6
owf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Solved: RN104 upgraded firmware 6.1.8 to 6.4.0 resulting in 'Booting...'

This morning i got an email from Netgear asking me to complete a RMA request to send the box back to Netgear.

But in the meanwhile i tried to make the firmware update again using the USB Recovery Tool as explained in http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29952. And it worked.

Thanks to gramoun for that useful hint.

Message 3 of 6
dvsu12
Tutor

Re: Solved: RN104 upgraded firmware 6.1.8 to 6.4.0 resulting in 'Booting...'

Will this process work for the Readynas 102?

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Solved: RN104 upgraded firmware 6.1.8 to 6.4.0 resulting in 'Booting...'

@dvsu12 wrote:

Will this process work for the Readynas 102?

USB recovery works on the RN102, though of course there is no front panel.  

Message 5 of 6
bda714
Guide

Re: Solved: Beware!!

I had identical situation to yours and was finally able to get it everything up and running again with no loss of data.  It worked fine for 3 days and then I tried to delete some old snapshots to make room.  When I pushed delete on the first one the web page crashed and I have not since been able to access the admin page.  The display was blank on the unit and the power light was flashing fast for hours before I finally cut the power and tried to restart it.  Once I plugged it back in it is stuck at "booting . . " once again and I am back to square one.  I have done a lot of research over these ordeals and it is clear that Netgear has released firmware that is riddled with bugs multiple times.  Not only do they push firmware that is bound to make folks lose priceless data that cant be replaced, when you call for support they tell you that your 90 days is up and that all that they can do is have you send it to their "affiliate" data recovery company who will charge you a couple thousand per terabyte to recover.

If you are going to release shotty firmware at least stand by your customers and provide support to fix your mistake NETGEAR!!  Last issue I had with LUN and called Netgear support about they told me that there was nothing that I could do and that my data was not able to be recovered no matter what I did or who I paid, and mind you this is Netgear's "highest tier" of support.  Within an hour of hanging up the phone I had figured it out on my own and was in the process of retrieving my data.  This is peoples personal or professional data that is sometimes irreplaceable, if you dont know say you dont know, if you messed up say you messed up! I for one will never buy another piece of equipment from Netgear which determines the safety of anything this important again.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements