× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN202 does not remember last state after power loss, always powers up

desecasa
Aspirant

RN202 does not remember last state after power loss, always powers up

Hello everybody,

I recently bought a diskless ReadyNAS 202 and I'm still in the process of setting things up. However, I noticed that it always powers up when its power supply was interrupted, regardless if it was running or in standby before.

If I recall correctly, I have read somewhere that the RN202 is supposed to remember the last power state and revert to that state. Is this correct?

When I gracefully shut down the NAS and then pull the plug, I would like it to stay in standby when I put it back in. How do I do that?

My RN202 is running the latest v6.4.2, wake on LAN is deactivated (network LEDs are nevertheless always lit).

Kind regards

Sebastian

Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 7
desecasa
Aspirant

Hi mdgm

I just sent you the logs according to the instructions you kindly provided. This is the use case I described in my email:

My use case is this: Each night, I gracefully shut down the NAS via the power button. After that, I cut the power to the NAS by switching off a switchable power strip. The next morning, I switch the power strip on again.

Expected behaviour: The Hardware Manual states the the NAS should remember its last power state. Hence, I expect the NAS to remain shut down/switched off.

Actual behaviour: A few seconds after switching on the power strip, the NAS boots. It does so every time.

Kind regards

Sebastian

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs.

How long after the unit completes a graceful shutdown do you cut the power to the NAS?

Message 4 of 7
desecasa
Aspirant

Well, in my use case it's a night, so 6-8 hours. But the NAS exhibits the same behaviour if I unplug it for a couple of minutes. Since I got it a couple of days ago, not once has it stayed off after power loss.

Message 5 of 7
desecasa
Aspirant

Sorry, I just realised I misread your question. I cut the power about 10 minutes after the NAS completes shutdown (all front lights off, network LEDs from the NIC stay lit).

Message 6 of 7
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I was able to reproduce your issue.  It should be fixed in the next firmware release.  There is a workaround you can apply for now though.  Enable the Power Timer option in the Power tab, and set the schedule to always be on.  This should make it behave like it's supposed to for your use case.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements