× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 hangs since 6.5.2

KMikhail
Aspirant

RN204 hangs since 6.5.2

Good day,

My RN204 came with 6.5.0 and after installing 4x 6TB Red's, setting up RAID6 with encryption and checking I have successfully updated it to 6.5.1. Ever since it had no issues whatsoever.

Fairly recently I've tried to update it to 6.5.2 and it started to hang on me. I suspect it happened during scrubbing (manual or scheduled). Symptomps:

HDD light is flashing & I can hear HDD's seeking once in a while.

No reaction to pressing of the power button. However, its led is on.

Front info panel is off, all the time.

I can't access admin page - "This site can’t be reached; ********* took too long to respond."

My router (ASUS RT-N11P) reports it to be connected. My PC (W10) can't identify connection apart from it being 1GBps, if I plug it into the LAN port.

Only pulling the pug fixed the problem, untill scrub was run again.

I have reverted to 6.5.1 and all went well again.

Once 6.6.0 was available, I decided to give it a go and... as of right now I wondering if I should pull the plug and try the new 6.6.1 BETA2, since it says it fixes crashes or I should wait and see, if it can potentially resolve in case if scub is hanging it. Assuming scrub would be over, which will take a while.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Mikhail

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS 204
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
KMikhail
Aspirant

Re: RN204 hangs since 6.5.2

Just to let community and developers know - scrub (48+ hrs) finishes and no hanging up anymore happens after the beta firmware was installed.

Great work!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If the scrub is in process, I'd let it finish and then try the beta.  (In other words, don't pull the plug unless the unit is hung).

Message 2 of 7
KMikhail
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. I can't really tell if the scub is in progress, since the panel is off, and there is no way I can access the box via LAN (discovery tool doesn't do it either).

I guess I will let it go for about as long as my regular scub goes.

Thanks,

Mikhail

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@KMikhail wrote:

I can't really tell if the scub is in progress, since the panel is off, and there is no way I can access the box via LAN

If you know the IP Address (or can see it in the router admin screens), maybe trying pinging it.

Message 4 of 7
KMikhail
Aspirant

Hi, thanks again.

Request timed out.

I've pulled the plug. As usual, nothing in the log. Upon rebooting the box got a new IP address.

I'm updating the firmware. 

Thanks,

Mikhail

Message 5 of 7
KMikhail
Aspirant

Just to let community and developers know - scrub (48+ hrs) finishes and no hanging up anymore happens after the beta firmware was installed.

Great work!

Message 6 of 7
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi KMikhail,

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements