× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN2120 advertised storage, iSCSI volume, diagnostics

Moggyman49
Aspirant

RN2120 advertised storage, iSCSI volume, diagnostics

I've got a RN2120 with 4x 4TB disks loaded. Firmware was updated earlier in the week to 6.9.3. RAIDar finds it OK, tells me everything is fine and the available Diagnostics complete without error. I can login to it OK and all seems well. However, maybe it isn't configured correctly or there is some other issue because....... 1. In the iSCSI screen I can create a group but when I try and create a new LUN it reports that the max size available is just 8TB. I would expect that if I only had 3 drives but I have 4 of them. 2. No matter what LUN I create, it doesn't actually seem to get created. Well, nothing is ever displayed put it that way! Could this be down to a setting I've missed, a drive reporting that it's healthy when it isn't? Are there any proper system diagnostics tools around? Thanks in advance
Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Moggyman49
Aspirant

Re: RN2120 advertised storage, iSCSI volume, diagnostics

Well, the Admin page told me that I had 8TB to use but every time I tried to create an 8TB LUN, absolutely nothing happened. However, specify 7.99TB and it works fine!! The interface software tells lies.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The max LUN size for the RN2120 is in fact 8 TB.  See page 85 of the software manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Message 2 of 9
Moggyman49
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. A bit of a drawback but maybe it will be overcome one day. If I go through the process and create an 8TB LUN, do you have any idea why it doesn't show up on the Admin/iSCSI page?
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Moggyman49 wrote:
If I go through the process and create an 8TB LUN, do you have any idea why it doesn't show up on the Admin/iSCSI page?

No - LUNs aren't a feature I use myself, so I don't have practical experience with creating them.

Message 4 of 9
Moggyman49
Aspirant

Thanks anyway. Maybe someone else will pick this up and offer some advice. I can't think what its problem is. I did a factory reset earlier in the week and there are no obvious error messages that I can see. I've got another RN2120 with the same kind of configuration I'm trying to apply to this 'new' box and that one was set up with no trouble. Very odd.
Message 5 of 9
Moggyman49
Aspirant

Well, the Admin page told me that I had 8TB to use but every time I tried to create an 8TB LUN, absolutely nothing happened. However, specify 7.99TB and it works fine!! The interface software tells lies.
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I guess with overheads creating an 8TB LUN would put it over the 8TB limit.

If you need to have llarger LUNs you'd need to get a x86 ReadyNAS.

Message 7 of 9
Moggyman49
Aspirant

It would be useful if it displayed the maximum space available after taking any overheads in to consideration. If you see something in a shop for £10 it means £10 - not £9.99. I digress.

Apolgies for being thick but you lost me on "If you need to have llarger LUNs you'd need to get a x86 ReadyNAS" ?

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Moggyman49 wrote:
Well, the Admin page told me that I had 8TB to use but every time I tried to create an 8TB LUN, absolutely nothing happened. However, specify 7.99TB and it works fine!! 

They should fix that - and they should also generate a clear error message if the size is too large.  Silently failing is definitely not nice.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements