× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 Power Failed, Stuck on Boot now won't see volume

Buxton
Apprentice

RN214 Power Failed, Stuck on Boot now won't see volume

Hello all, 

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum, however I just had a bit of a weird issue with my RN214. Basically I added a fourth WD Red to the NAS and a resync started as expected, however a few hours in the power failed and when the system automatically rebooted it got stuck on "Booting 38%" and even a USB Recovery didn't solve the issue. Tried a few times then when I gave up and left it finally booted however now it says "Remove inactive volumes to use disk 1,2,3,4" and won't see any volumes or data, but the resync is continuing. 

Do I have a hope of recovery from this, I have a backup of data bar massive movies which i'm not too fussed about redownloading however i'd rather this just work. 

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN214 Power Failed, Stuck on Boot now won't see volume

It is unfortunate that you decided to do a USB recovery before you came here for advise.  That is rarely the correct action and often makes things worse (as it appears to have done in your case).

The correct first action was to try to boot with "Skip volume check" enabled from the boot menu.  It's now too late for that.  You may still have some luck booting with only the original 3 drives.  It will likely come up with the volume degraded if it does come up, but you could then either backup the files or try again with the new drive.

If that does not work, Netgear Support is likely your only recourse.

Did you have no UPS on the NAS?  If it was gracefully shut down in mid-resync, it should have resumed on reboot.  But just cutting power can be very bad during a resync.  I think it warns you about that.

Message 2 of 5
Buxton
Apprentice

Ah the boot menu on mine doesn't give the option to Skip volume check, I only get Normal, OS Reinstall, Tech Support, Volume read only, mem test or disk test. I've removed the fourth drive and it still does the same long loading time so I'm not sure if it'll actually boot and i'm now thinking a restore from backup is probably faster...

Message 3 of 5
Buxton
Apprentice

Strange thing is though is when you reboot the NAS and after it loads it does email alert me to the fact that theres only less than 30% space availible and that a resync has started. Wouldn't that indicate that the volume is there and just not active? Is there any way to get the admin page to recognise it?

Message 4 of 5
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Buxton,

I think getting in touch with support would probably be best to get those checked. They can try and access the via SSH for you.

Contact NETGEAR Support

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements