× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 Vertical expand of 4x2TB disks calculating total capacity

HansX
Aspirant

RN314 Vertical expand of 4x2TB disks calculating total capacity

Hi community,

i do have a netgear 314 running on latest firmware and 4 x 2 TB hard disks in tradition raid (one logical drive)

I am planning to replace two of the hard disks with 4 TB drives each.

so that finally NAS runs with 2x2TB + 2x4TB. Nor,ally I would not only replace 2 drives but the calculator in the web promised me a gain of 2TB (Increased cap from 6 to 8TB) when XRAID is used.

I have used this calculator to calculate final capacity after the upgrade.

http://rdconfigurator.netgear.com/raid/index.html

But now I am confused why X-RAID does calculate result of 8 TB while traditional RAID 5 calculates 6 TB.

I am happy to change from RAID to XRAID before I do the veryical upgrade but would be happy if somebody could confirm the XRAID calculation and tell me how this is calculated ?

many thanks,

Hans

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN314 Vertical expand of 4x2TB disks calculating total capacity

2x4TB+2x2TB will give you 8 TB of volume space with xraid.

The rule is to take away the largest disk and sum the rest.  That is 4TB + 2 TB + 2 TB = 8 TB.  

Technically this uses two raid layers- 4x2TB RAID-5 and 2x2TB RAID-1 for the vertical expansion.  These are mounted as a single volume, but you can see the layers if you look at the disk partitioning with ssh,

With standard RAID-5, there is no layering like this.  So only 2 TB of the two 4 TB drives can be used, which would give you 6 TB volume space.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN314 Vertical expand of 4x2TB disks calculating total capacity

2x4TB+2x2TB will give you 8 TB of volume space with xraid.

The rule is to take away the largest disk and sum the rest.  That is 4TB + 2 TB + 2 TB = 8 TB.  

Technically this uses two raid layers- 4x2TB RAID-5 and 2x2TB RAID-1 for the vertical expansion.  These are mounted as a single volume, but you can see the layers if you look at the disk partitioning with ssh,

With standard RAID-5, there is no layering like this.  So only 2 TB of the two 4 TB drives can be used, which would give you 6 TB volume space.

Message 2 of 3
HansX
Aspirant

Betreff: RN314 Vertical expand of 4x2TB disks calculating total capacity

That sounds logical. Excellent. Those guys who developed XRAID did a great job.
Many thanks for your quick response. I am impressed.😉

Cheers,
Hans
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements