× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN314 can't set up Alerts

robmorris77
Aspirant

RN314 can't set up Alerts

Right I've got a support ticket open for this and I'm getting nowhere fast at the moment so as the community has been so helpful so far I was wondering if anyone here could assist/advise.

Hi - for the 2x RN31400 NASs I own and have registered with you I am unable to setup e-mail alerts. I have tried using 3 e-mail addresses from 3 service providers : Yahoo, Hotmail/Outlook and also my own ISPs e-mail TalkTalk. No matter what settings I use for all 3 e-mail providers I get the following error message : check smtp server settings unable to send a test message code 5008010002 error from msmtp The e-mail alerts on my 3x NV+s using my Yahoo e-mail address work fine. On the one of the RN31400s using Yahoo initially worked and the Alert section would say it was configured correctly and I would get e-mails through to my 2 hotmail addresses, this was on 1 of my RN31400s, on the other RN31400 the settings would not save and would always say there was a problem but I did get some successful test messages through. Now no matter what settings I use, which e-mail provider I use, etc. I can not get e-mail alerts working ! Please assist as this is obviously an issue with the NASs and software on the devices, firmware version on both is 6.4.1 Ive setup the 3 e-mail addresses on an e-mail client within my network and all 3 work fine, the 3x NV+s dont have a problem using my Yahoo account to send alerts, checking my routers and firewalls there is no blocked traffic and I can telnet out to the 3 e-mail servers without problems. Please advise/assist, thanks.  

And ...

Ok the firmware update didn't work, I've update one of the RN31400's to firmware version 6.4.2 and after 2 reboots I'm still unable to get Alerts working.

The SMTP servers I'm trying to use are :

Yahoo =
------------------------
E-mail Provider : Custom
User : xxxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk
Password : xxxxxxx
SMTP server : smtp.mail.yahoo.com
SMTP port : I've tried 25, 465 and 587
Use TLS : I've tried checked and unchecked

Hotmail/Outlook.com =
------------------------
User : xxxxxxx@hotmail.com
SMTP server : smtp-mail.outlook.com

TalkTalk = This is the ISP I use!!
------------------------
User : xxxxxxx@TalkTalk,net
SMTP server : smtp.talktalk.net

Ref: browser used, I've used both Firefox and Internet Explorer, not that it should make any difference whatsoever.

Ref: screenshots, no need as the settings are listed above for both RN31400's.

Ref: the settings for the 3x NV+'s are as follows :

Yahoo =
------------------------
User : xxxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk
SMTP server : smtp.mail.yahoo.com
SMTP port : 465
Use TLS : Is checked and

Test e-mails for Alert setup on the NV+'s still work fine, RN314's DO NOT WORK.

Please advise what can be done to resolve this issue, thanks.                                

And ....

Full error message =

Unable to send a test message.

Cannot send a test message. Check SMTP server settings.Code: 5008010002 Error from msmtp

Datetime: 05:02:09 02/04/2016                                

And ....

Hi,

Right well now I can read the KB article - that does not help in any way :
kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23066

There is nothing wrong with the configurations I'm using.

All 3 SMTP servers and settings listed above work fine on my NV+ NAS's

All 3 SMTP servers and settings listed above work fine on Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird within my network.

All 3 SMTP servers and setting listed above work fine when I Telnet to them within my network.

Initially the Yahoo SMTP settings worked fine on one of the RN314 and appeared saved and ok.

Also ...

Initially the Yahoo SMTP settings worked fine on one of the RN314 but would not save or say it was configured correctly.

So obviously there is something wrong with the built SMTP service/server on these 2 RN314 NAS.

I'm not prepared to allow you access as it will provide no benefit whatsoever.

I've worked in IT for going on 20 years, so there is nothing that can be done with giving you remote access except for you to confirm everything I've already stated above.

And ......

So please advise what Netgear are going to do next or advise what else other than confirming my settings will remote access allow ?

Searching your forums it appears mail problems like this one are apparently quite common, so what has been done previously to resolve the problem ?

Also the error code : Code: 5008010002 Error from msmtp

Why aren't you investigating this with your development teams that wrote the OS on the NAS to work out what that error actually means ?

There is nothing wrong with the configuration as it works fine on my 3x NV+ NAS, it works fine in e-mail clients, it works fine in Telnet and it worked very briefly on the 2x RN314's for the Yahoo SMTP settings.

Eron - if you are unable to assist further please escalate this issue to your next line of support .... 3rd line ?

Thanks.                                

And ....

I've also tried my GMAIL account set to less secure apps as per this thread :

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Cannot-set-up-Alerts-on-my-ReadyNAS-RN314/td-p/...

GMAIL =

------------------------
User : xxxxxxx@gmail.com
SMTP server : smtp.gmail.com

So that didn't work either on the RN314's but it works fine on the NV+'s, in an e-mail client (x2) and via Telnet

Please escalate to your next tier of support, thanks.                                

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
robmorris77
Aspirant

Right, I've fixed it on one of the RN314's so far .....

I backed up all my data on that RN314 and performed a Factory Default.

I manually replicated the settings from the then non-working RN314 to the reset RN314 except for the identifying data, i.e. name, etc.

Exactly as it was before .... and now the defaulted RN314 works fine.

I'm presently backing up the data on the now non-working RN314 to perform a Factory Default on that one and see if that resolves the issue on that one.

So we can close this and I'll refer to it with a new thread if I need to if the second RN314 still has problems after the Factory Default.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
robmorris77
Aspirant

Sorry for the massive info' dump but as you can see I've tried everything.

To clarify all 4 of the SMTP servers I have access to work fine on the NV+'s, e-mail clients and via Telnet, but no matter which provider and settings I use on the RN314's it does notwork.

Tho' Yahoo did work briefly on the first RN314 and saved, and showed as saved and I did receive some test messages.

On the second RN314 - Yahoo did work briefly on the second RN314 but never saved, and never showed as saved but I did receive some test messages.

So I'm at a loss now !?!?!?!?!

Netgear support have pointed me at a KB article that merely outlines how to setup Alerts, suggested a firmware update and requested remote access.

Message 2 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello robmorris77,

Found your ticket. I guess we have to wait for the support to get the support ticket escalated.

Regards,

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

gmail certainly does work, so if that's acceptable to you, then proceed with that.

You do need to turn off two-factor authentication, and turn on the "less secure" apps settings.  FWIW, the apps are "less secure" only because they know your email credentials.  So you need to trust them not to leak that information.

Message 4 of 9
robmorris77
Aspirant

Hi - thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately GMAIL with the settings above DOES NOT work.

Including going into the GMAIL account and setting the less secure option.

Either way the GMAIL thing is a bit of a red herring because it's not the only SMTP option I've tried, I've tried 4 different SMTP options/servers/providers on the 2x RN314's and none of them work, but the 4 different SMTP options work fine on my 3x NV+'s, e-mail clients, (Outlook & Thunderbird), and also via Telnet from 2 different PC's.

Hope that further clarifies things ?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@robmorris77 wrote:

Unfortunately GMAIL with the settings above DOES NOT work.

Including going into the GMAIL account and setting the less secure option.

Did you remember to turn off two-factor authentication - both settings changes are needed. On the NAS use smtp.gmail.com, port = 587, and tls is checked. 

It absolutely does work, I have two OS6 ReadyNAS that use it, and I get daily emails from them both. 

Of course there could be issues with other email services.  

Message 6 of 9
robmorris77
Aspirant

Ok just to reiterate the GMAIL not working is a tangent in this instance.

If I was ONLY trying to use GMAIL fair enough, but I've tried 3 other SMTP services/providers without success, but they work fine within the same network on other devices.

GMAIL is set to allow less secure apps, 2 step/factor authentication is turned off as well and TLS whether checked or unchecked makes no difference.

Right if needs be I will edit all my posts to remove any mention of GMAIL as GMAIL is not the problem.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Have you checked the the NAS can reach the internet generally?  For instance with "check for updates"?

If you are using static IP addresses, double check that the DNS servers were configured. 

Message 8 of 9
robmorris77
Aspirant

Right, I've fixed it on one of the RN314's so far .....

I backed up all my data on that RN314 and performed a Factory Default.

I manually replicated the settings from the then non-working RN314 to the reset RN314 except for the identifying data, i.e. name, etc.

Exactly as it was before .... and now the defaulted RN314 works fine.

I'm presently backing up the data on the now non-working RN314 to perform a Factory Default on that one and see if that resolves the issue on that one.

So we can close this and I'll refer to it with a new thread if I need to if the second RN314 still has problems after the Factory Default.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements