× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN516 Vertical Expansion for volumes over 16 TB

jpass022
Luminary

RN516 Vertical Expansion for volumes over 16 TB

Does the no autoexpand with volumes above 16TB limitation still exist? Is there any explanation to why this limitation exists?

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
jpass022
Luminary

Re: RN516 Vertical Expansion for volumes over 16 TB

Backed up NAS and did the factory reset, which fixed the expansion problem as it should have. I checked the available apps page while the Nas was resyncing and it was populated, but this morning, the available apps page is empty. I manaully loaded PLEX and it installed properly and the icon is present on installed apps page. The available apps page is still empty?

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That limitation has never affected our OS6 x86_64 products such as the RN516.

It was a limitation of EXT4 which we used for the data volume on legacy systems.

There were also some limitations on OS6 ARM (even though we use BTRFS for the data volume) on firmware prior to 6.4.0 due to our ARM products being 32-bit.

Message 2 of 16
jpass022
Luminary

mdgm,

Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions to fix my non-expansion after reboot problem then? I know I could spend a few days transferring all the Shares off the NAS and do a factory reset, but I'd rather not if there is an alternative I can try...

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@jpass022 wrote:

Do you have any suggestions to fix my non-expansion after reboot problem then?

What exactly did you try to do (e.g., what was your starting disk configuration, and what did you change)???

Message 4 of 16
jpass022
Luminary

Started with 6 x 3TB drives, 1 volume using xraid-2. Swapped out the 3TB drives with 4TB drives, one at a time, letting the NAS resync after each drive swap. After all 6 3TB drives had been exchanged with 4TB Drives, I rebooted the NAS to allow for expansion. Still showing the same Volume size (10.9TB) as it did with the 3TB Drives instead of 14.53TB which my other NAS shows with the exact same drives with xraid-2... Both NASs are RN51600s... OS 6.5.1 on both...

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@jpass022 wrote:

Started with 6 x 3TB drives, 1 volume using xraid-2. Swapped out the 3TB drives with 4TB drives, one at a time, letting the NAS resync after each drive swap. After all 6 3TB drives had been exchanged with 4TB Drives, I rebooted the NAS to allow for expansion. Still showing the same Volume size (10.9TB) as it did with the 3TB Drives instead of 14.53TB which my other NAS shows with the exact same drives with xraid-2... Both NASs are RN51600s... OS 6.5.1 on both...

6x3TB should show ~13.6 TB of storage with single redundancy XRAID.  10.9 is what you'd see with dual redundancy/RAID-6 (and 14.53 is what you'd see with dual redundancy 6x4TB).

So it actually should have expanded when you added the fourth 4 TB drive.  The XRAID control on the volume tab has a green stripe?

Message 6 of 16
jpass022
Luminary

Yessir, the X-RAID has a green stripe indicating it is active....

I just tried rebooting again, still no expansion...

Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 8 of 16
jpass022
Luminary

logs sent...Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The volume should automatically expand.

Do you have an up to date backup of your data?

Message 10 of 16
jpass022
Luminary

no, I would have to create one... Sounds like you are suggesting backup and factory reset?

Message 11 of 16
jpass022
Luminary

Would an OS reinstall be worth trying?

Message 12 of 16
jpass022
Luminary

mdgm,

Full backup of all shares and a full configuration backup should be fininshed later todsy or tomorrow...

Message 13 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An OS Re-install wouldn't fix this, but once you have your backup I wouldn't see any harm in trying that.

Message 14 of 16
jpass022
Luminary

Backed up NAS and did the factory reset, which fixed the expansion problem as it should have. I checked the available apps page while the Nas was resyncing and it was populated, but this morning, the available apps page is empty. I manaully loaded PLEX and it installed properly and the icon is present on installed apps page. The available apps page is still empty?

Message 15 of 16
jpass022
Luminary

UPDATE : problem solved with PLEX Apps...

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements