× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND2110 v2 will not start up

rbush
Aspirant

RND2110 v2 will not start up

Last week I stopped being able to access my ReadyNASRND2110v2 NAS on my network and the unit was powered down.  I tried starting and the hard disk would spool up and stay spinning and I still had no access to my NAS.  The only way I could get it to stop spinning was to unplug it - pressing the start button wouldn't shut it down.

Every time I try to boot the unit up I get the same problem - the NAS keeps spinning the hard disk and does not link to my network.  I have tried to reset by holding the reset button in while powering up but it has no effect.

Please help!

Model: ReadyNASRND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
rbush
Aspirant

Re: RND2110 v2 will not start up

Thanks for your advice - it gives me a lot to think about.

rbush

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
omicron_persei8
Luminary

Is it a Duo v1 or a v2 ?

http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Be careful with the label on the NAS, it's misleading.

Does RAIDar see it?

Message 2 of 13
rbush
Aspirant

The label says: "ReadyNAS Duo RND2110 v2 Model RND2110-100NAS 1X1000SG XRAID".  I don't use RAIDar as I only have 1 disk installed in it and saw no sense in installing the ap since the browser interface had all the functionality I needed.

When I enter the network address Windows says it is unavailable at this time.  Again, the disk is spooling and doesn't settle down into its normal quiet spun-down standbuy mode.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@rbush wrote:

The label says: "ReadyNAS Duo RND2110 v2 Model RND2110-100NAS 1X1000SG XRAID"...

As the article says, that means you have a v1 (sparc-based unit).  The -100NAS is the tell, a v2 would have a -200NAS.  The v2 in the label doesn't mean what you think it does.

@rbush wrote:

I don't use RAIDar...

RAIDar gives status information, and the NAS sometimes responds to it even when the web interface is down.  So please install it, and tell us what it says.

Message 4 of 13
rbush
Aspirant

Nada - now I have a useless piece of software on my computer that does nothing.

I tried taking out the hard disks and starting up the unit - same spinning sound, so evidently what I thought was the hard disks spooling up is something else inside the NAS.  Still doesn't settle down into normal standby mode except that when I pressed the power button and held it to shut it down, it did shut down - I didn't have to unplug it like I do when the hard disks are in it.

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@rbush wrote:

Nada - now I have a useless piece of software on my computer that does nothing.

No. Odds are you have failed and now useless ReadyNAS hardware.  There's a chance that isn't the case, but it doesn't look good.

Try RAIDar again with the disks removed from the duo.  

If the duo hardware is ok, it should find the NAS and report a "no disks" status.  Let us know if it does that.  Also let us know the LED status for the NIC (which is on the back).

Message 6 of 13
rbush
Aspirant

With the disks out, Raidar found my NAS this time.  It reported:

Name: nas-93-F2-93

Firmware:

IP Address: 10.0.0.149 (C0:3F:0E:93:F2:93)

When I pressed the admin button it wouldn't connect.  Instead I got this messsage:

This site can’t be reached

10.0.0.149 refused to connect.

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@rbush wrote:

With the disks out, Raidar found my NAS this time.  It reported:

Name: nas-93-F2-93

Firmware:

IP Address: 10.0.0.149 (C0:3F:0E:93:F2:93)

That says there's almost certainly something wrong with the disk.  The good news is that it is probably not the chassis (the bad news is that your data is likely gone).  Can you connect the disk to a windows PC (perhaps in a USB enclosure or USB->SATA adapter)?  If so, the next step is to test the disk with vendor tools - Seatools for Seagate, Lifeguard for Western Digital.

If you have a spare SATA (no larger than 2 TB) you could try putting that into the NAS and trying the factory install from the boot menu.  Of course everything currently on the disk will be wiped out.  

Or you could simply buy a new drive- I recommend either a WD20EFRX or an ST2000VN000.

@rbush wrote:
 ...When I pressed the admin button it wouldn't connect...

That is normal.  The Linux OS is installed on the disks, so the system requires disks to run.

Message 8 of 13
rbush
Aspirant

Here is the label as it appears on my NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS Duo RND2110 v2 Model RND2110-100NAS 1X1000SG XRAID 

Can you tell me if this is the proper hardware manual for this NAS: ReadyNAS Duo and

NV+ Hardware Manual December 2011; 202-10925-02

This looks to be the proper manual based on the illustrations in it but it's a little confusing with some of the differences in nomenclature in the manuals vs product label vs online references.  The original online manuals and resources for this unit when I bought it weren't nearly as detailed as the current resources.

At least it sounds as if the NAS itself is still good.  BTW, the rear LED was a blinking green.

Being the first time I have used RAIDar, is this a program that actually installs on your computer or is it something that is memory resident and leaves nothing on your computer when you close the program?

I'm going to try a new drive in it and see what happens.  If all appears good, I might even plug in a second drive and go for a RAID configuration this time.  Any advice and considerations you might offer would be appreciated.

One of the reasons I get so behind on problems with gear is that I try and do a good base setup and usually succeed to the point to where it is years if ever that I have to do any troubleshooting or replacements, so I usually forget a lot of what I learned when I first set a new piece of gear.

Thanks

rbush

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I redacted the serial number and MAC address - generally I treat that is private information, though the risk if it is disclosed is slight.

@rbush wrote:

Can you tell me if this is the proper hardware manual for this NAS: ReadyNAS Duo and

NV+ Hardware Manual December 2011; 202-10925-02

Yes.  The direct download link is http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

@rbush wrote:

At least it sounds as if the NAS itself is still good.  

Yes it does.  Usually a disk failure will won't totally brick the startup process (instead RAIDar reports "corrupt root" or something similar).  But some disk failures will totally lock up the SATA bus, and that freezes everything.

@rbush wrote:

Being the first time I have used RAIDar, is this a program that actually installs on your computer or is it something that is memory resident and leaves nothing on your computer when you close the program?

RAIDar 4.3.x is installed (and you have had to install it to use it).  You can of course uninstall it at any time.  RAIDar 6.x doesn't seem to actually install anything, you can just run it.

Neither is memory-resident as I use the term.  Memory Resident means that it is always running in memory (like a disk driver or an anti-virus program).  RAIDar doesn't do that.  It only runs when you click on it, and it completely shuts down when you exit the program.

@rbush wrote:

I'm going to try a new drive in it and see what happens.  If all appears good, I might even plug in a second drive and go for a RAID configuration this time.  Any advice and considerations you might offer would be appreciated.

RAID is a good thing, but you can lose data even with RAID.  If you have to choose between RAID and a separate backup (say a USB drive), then go for backup first and RAID second.

As far as drives go, I've settled on WD Reds (and the WD20EFRX will work well in your duo).  There are other options of course, and many opinions.  But the WD Reds have worked well for me.  In your duo, both the drives need to be the same size, and there is a 2 TB limit.  The two drives don't have to be the same model - you can mix seagate and western digital for instance.

I also recommend a UPS - it is possible to lose data if you get an unexpected power cut.  It's rare, but it did happen once to me.  You want a model that has a USB cable that you plug into the NAS - then the NAS will automatically shut down when the UPS battery drains.  I use Cyberlink myself, though other models (particularly APC) are popular here.   The same UPS can protect other equipment too (including your router or switches) - though if you load it too much the battery will drain much faster.

Longer term, the duo is aging (Netgear stopped selling your NAS in 2011).  Newer models are much faster and have additional features (antivirus scanning, ReadyCloud, amazon cloud sync for example).  Its easiest to migrate to a new NAS if your old one is still running.  They also can co-exist - my own duo doesn't have the capacity to be my main NAS, but I still am using it for backup.  Every day some shares on my Pro-6 are backed up to the duo.

@rbush wrote:

so I usually forget a lot of what I learned when I first set a new piece of gear.

Totally get that.  My postings here tend to keep me fresh on the ReadyNAS.  But there is certainly other stuff I have deployed where I need to do some refresh on when something goes wrong.

A couple of suggestions though - the email alerts are a good way to get notified if something does go wrong.  So you should set them up.  

Also, it is important to keep track of the NAS admin password.  If that's an issue for you, then I'd suggest writing it down and taping it to the cabinet somewhere (perhaps inside the disk door).  Security people cringe at that, but if someone steals your NAS then they can get the data off w/o the password.  So there isn't much additional risk in writing it down.

Message 10 of 13
rbush
Aspirant

Thanks for the redact, but I didn't see much of a risk either and I wanted you to have as much info as I could provide in determining my exact model.

I am using the RAIDar 6.1.0.0 and the one thing I liked is like you said, it doesn't seem to install anything.

One other thing - when using RAID, isn't the easiest way to backup would be to keep an extra disk and when you want to backup take one of the disks out of the NAS and slide in the extra and let it synch to the drive left in the NAS?  I mean, the first disk doesn't get wiped in the synching process, does it?  Then if you need to recover you could just take all the old disks out, slide the extra in and then any other disk put in the unit would synch to that one, right?  Or have I got this wrong - I haven't worked with RAID before.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@rbush wrote:

One other thing - when using RAID, isn't the easiest way to backup would be to keep an extra disk and when you want to backup take one of the disks out of the NAS and slide in the extra and let it synch to the drive left in the NAS?  

You're not the first to have that idea, but it is not recommended.  One reason is that the SATA connectors on internal drives aren't designed for a lot of pulls.  I've never seen one break, but I believe rotating drives that way is still likely to create damage.  Even if the connectors hold up, I'd be worried about dropping one accidentally.

A second reason is that the sync itself does stress the drives and it copies everything (even free space).  An incremental backup transfers a lot less data and is a lot faster.

Message 12 of 13
rbush
Aspirant

Thanks for your advice - it gives me a lot to think about.

rbush

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements