× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP6350 won’t start

Mindl
Tutor

RNDP6350 won’t start

Every 3 months i do a backup-job and when finished, i shut down my Readynas and cut it from the powersupply.

Today my Readynas didn’t start any longer. Absolute no reaction (no fan, no bootmenu, nothing) what ever i try, i only noticed  a very very light and fast flickering of the LEDs on one network-port (though no networkcables are applied) as long as the powerswitch on the rear side is on.

I checked the 24-pin connector to the mainboard – all pins have the correct voltage.

What else can i try to locate the problem or to fix it?

thanks for help

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6350|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RNDP6350 won’t start

From your description, I would have guessed that it is the +5VSB (5 volt standby) power that's the issue.  But you say all pins have the right voltages.  Still, if you have a stanbdard ATX supply available, you may want to try connecting it externally and see if that fixes the issue.

+5VSB powers the LAN circuit (for WoL) and the turn-on circuit.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Mindl,

It does appear that we are seeing a hardware fault. I would recommend to remove or haft seat the drives and check if the NAS will boot without the hard drives inserted. If the NAS will not boot nor the boot menu will not respond I would suggest to contact support for possible warranty claim given the NAS chassis is still under its warranties.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
bedlam1
Prodigy

Label the disks if you remove them so you can re-insert them back to the correct slot

Message 3 of 11
Mindl
Tutor

Hello Marty_M,

this was, what i did first; I'll contact the support with a very little hope. I bought the Readynas in 2010.

thanks to all

Message 4 of 11
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Mindl,

You can PM me the serial number of the NAS and I will try to check the warraty status.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
Mindl
Tutor

I contacted Netgear Austria (Channel Manager), but until now there is no solution; I'm waiting for an answer.

Message 6 of 11
Mindl
Tutor

Ultimate advice from Netgear-support was, to buy a new Readynas. Obviously it is a hardware failure and out of the warranty-period they will not repair my device, not even on my own costs.

This is very disappointing andyou have to consider in case of buying a new netgear-device.

Thanks to all for your efforts

Mindl

Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is advice on the community as to how to replace the PSU at your own risk. That sounds like the most likely component to be at fault.

Unfortunately it is not practical for us to do out of warranty hardware repairs.

Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

From your description, I would have guessed that it is the +5VSB (5 volt standby) power that's the issue.  But you say all pins have the right voltages.  Still, if you have a stanbdard ATX supply available, you may want to try connecting it externally and see if that fixes the issue.

+5VSB powers the LAN circuit (for WoL) and the turn-on circuit.

Message 9 of 11
Mindl
Tutor

Hello Sandshark

as the PSU of my readynas Pro - a seasonic SS-300SFD - was still available i orded it to follow your advice. Unfortunatly the cable to the mainboard-connector was to short; so i had to do a series of modifications to the chassis (turn the PSU 90° clockwise to reach the mainboard connector, therefore mount the chassis-fan outside, cut a little window in the chassis to reach the new position of the on-off switch and powerplug-cable.

It works and i'm happy

Thank you very much

Mindl

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Too late now, I guess, but if you had searched the forum you would have found that a readily available 6-inch extension for the ATX connector was all you needed to complete an internal installation.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements