× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[RNDU6000] Increase HDD size capacity

HellxBattosay
Aspirant

[RNDU6000] Increase HDD size capacity

Hello to community.

Since 5 years now, i have a ReadyNas RNDU6000 with 6 volumes of 3 To each one configured on RAID5.

At this moment i want to upgrade each HDD with a volume of 8 To.

For the moment i have only 1 HDD of 8 To, when i plugged, it's been reconized and sync is started/finnished well not problem about that.

When i see the volume associated it's not 8 To but 3 To like the others volumes. (attached a screenshot).

Is-it because with only 1 new HDD it's not working on RAID5?

I have to create a new volume?

Is-it possible to increase the volume without loss data?

Thx for your help

Cheers 

Hellx

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: [RNDU6000] Increase HDD size capacity

There are two expansion limits with OS 4.2.x firmware:

• A volume cannot expand from less than 16 TiB to greater than 16 TiB
  • A volume cannot expand more than 8 TiB from it's initial size

Your expansion plan simply won't work - it exceeds both of these limits.  You have two options:

1. Do a factory default with 6x8TB disks in place, and restore your data from backup.  You'll end up with a volume that can't be expanded in the future.  
  2. Convert your ultra to run OS 6, which has no known expansion limits.  This also requires a factory default, so you will need to back up your data.  In this case you can temporarily install two 8 TB drives in a PC (either SATA or a USB dock), and back up your data to them.

So your expansion goal isn't possible w/o destroying your existing data.

@HellxBattosay wrote:

Since 5 years now, i have a ReadyNas RNDU6000 with 6 volumes of 3 To each one configured on RAID5

Actually you don't.  You have one RAID-5 volume that has 6 disks.  I point this out, because identifying the RAID configuration incorrectly can lead to wrong advice here.

@HellxBattosay wrote:

When i see the volume associated it's not 8 To but 3 To like the others volumes. (attached a screenshot).

Is-it because with only 1 new HDD it's not working on RAID5? 

The volume capacity rule for XRAID is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  So there is no expansion when you upgrade the first disk.  However, as noted above, in your specific case expansion will fail when you insert the second disk.

Also, I'd like to point out that RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  To do that you need to back it up to at least one other device.

Message 2 of 3
HellxBattosay
Aspirant

Re: [RNDU6000] Increase HDD size capacity

Thx for your quick/clear answer.

For now i can't do that beacause of have no backup to securise data, but it's ok you confirm that i have no other solution.

My part to find how to do that.

Thx Stephen

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements