× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Raid1 and ext4 filesystem

Express
Aspirant

Raid1 and ext4 filesystem

Hi, Netgear RNDX4250. Version.4.2.27.  i have 2x2 tb disk. And i want to create raid1 filesystem should be ext4 . How can i create?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you are starting fresh, just put the two (unformatted) drives into the NAS and power it up.  The NAS will use xraid, but with two disks that is standard RAID-1.

If you aren't starting fresh, you need to give us more information (whether you are using xraid or flexraid, what's in the NAS now, etc).

Message 2 of 8
Express
Aspirant

Hi again,

Im using flexraid raid1 on netgear now. I think flexraid not supported ext4. Right? I did not know what xraid

How can i create xraid raid 1 ext4?

This link my raid configuration

http://s8.postimg.org/lq2zeiw7p/raid.jpg

Thanks for your answer

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Looks to me like you are already creating it.

Your NAS always uses ext for the file system.  Whatever RAID you chose, you will still be using ext.

ext is not a network protocol, so over the network, you access shares using CIFS/SMB, AFP or NFS.  But the file system itself is ext.

Message 4 of 8
Express
Aspirant

Yes i know. Whats the ex4. My customer data folder size more than 32,000 on the netgear. ext3 file system not support up to 32,000 folders. My customer number of folders more than 40,000. That's why I need create ext4 filesystem raid. if i have flexraid and raid1; my customer can not create any folder on the netgear. 

what should I do?
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

My pro is running 4.2.28, but the file system was created some years ago with older firmware.  It uses xraid, and the C data volume is definitely ext4.  You can check yourself with ssh.

PRO:~# blkid
/dev/md0: UUID="xxx" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/md1: UUID="xxx" TYPE="swap"
/dev/md2: UUID="xxx" TYPE="lvm2pv"
/dev/md3: UUID="xxx" TYPE="lvm2pv"
/dev/mapper/c-c: UUID="xxx" TYPE="ext4"

I "only" have 26,000 folders though, so I can't confirm if > 32000 works or not.

Your limit might not be ext4, it might be something else.  Are all these folders in the same share?  Is the sharing protocol SMB or something else?

Message 6 of 8
Express
Aspirant

Hi again Stephan,

No I dont using smb.  Im using only network share folder. My customer is a hospital. And they are backup patient dcom files on netgear. Each patient panaromic files sending to backup folder. Everyday 400 patient files and folders sending to netgear. BackUp total of 3 years on the device.

1-) I will destroy volume after i will create x-raid2 new volume. Is there a point I need to pay attention?

2-) I can change using ssh flexraid1 filesystem ext3 to ext4?

Thanks for your all answers.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Express wrote:

No I dont using smb.  Im using only network share folder. 

I think you are confused here.  Network shares always have one or more sharing protocols configured.  The NAS lets you share with CIFS, NFS, FTP, HTTP, and RSYNC.  You have to be using one of those - otherwise you are not sharing.  CIFS is the same as SMB and is the most common.

You can see what protocols are enabled for each share using frontview - just click on "shares" and you will see a table.  Entries not enabled are grayed out.

@Express wrote:

1-) I will destroy volume after i will create x-raid2 new volume. Is there a point I need to pay attention?

2-) I can change using ssh flexraid1 filesystem ext3 to ext4?

I think you should use ssh to see what the current file system is before you go any further.  You can use the blkid command I posted above.

I believe you already have ext4.

FWIW, another approach (requiring flexraid) is to add two more drives to the NAS and create a second RAID-1 array.  Then split the patient files across the two volumes.  You'd need at least two shares to do that (one on each volume).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements