× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Raspberry Pi XBMC post DUO V1 firmware update

GuyCarnegie
Aspirant

Raspberry Pi XBMC post DUO V1 firmware update

Since updating the firmware on my duo V1, some movie files are no longer being distributed to my raspberry pi V2 efficiently. At the same time, I also had a drive failure, so perhaps the problem is due to the flies now being served from a single disk, rather than two, though I doubt that is the case.

Interestingly, I can play the same files on a windows machine without problems, and after copying from NAS to Windows machine, I can play the movie without problem from the Raspberry Pi, so I know it's not a prblem with the RPI, or with the file itself.

I can only think that there's a setting that needs to be reset following the firmware update which will let the RPI read the affected files more effectively.

I think it has to do with the protocol used by the RPI that the NAS might no longer be 100% confortable with. Browsing is much slower, movies which I can play are subject to a lot of lag and/or buffering, and a lot of the movies, I just can't play at all.

Must be some sort of setting on the NAS, surely?

Kind regards

Guy

Model: ReadyNASRND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Is the Raspberry Pi using the DLNA server in the NAS?  Or is it accessing the media with SMB or NFS?

Message 2 of 4
GuyCarnegie
Aspirant

Its using SMB

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

You could try measuring the throughput on a windows PC with NAStester ( http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance ).  I'd look at disk health also, since a failing disk can kill speeds. 

Do you have ssh enabled on the duo?

Even full bluray streaming only requires 7-8 megabytes/second, and even the duo v1 can deliver significantly higher speeds than that.

If everything looks healthy you could try switching to NFS.  Most linux boxes get faster speeds with NFS than SMB.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements