× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS 102 impossibly slow

leotchest
Aspirant

Ready NAS 102 impossibly slow

I have had the NAS 102 for couple of years now and it seemed to work OK - in fact i mainly just use it as an external backup device. I have all my files and folders stored on it. 

Typically, I would keep the backups on the NAS all up to date by using Goodsync, a simple desktop program. 

However, i can no longer keep my files synchronised because the NAS has become so slow that Goodsync just times out & I keep getting the message 

"Error analyzing \\192.168.1.80\Photos\: no reply after 136(120)-sec timeout: The specified network name is no longer available"

Somehow the NAS keeps disappearing - or rather its running so slow that the synchronised believes it has disappeared.

As an example of how slow the NAS is, if i select a small photo (less than 115kb in size) and try to open it, it will take approximately 2 minutes for that photo to load into the default windows picture viewer. Also, any time you want to open a folder in windows explorer that is on the NAS, it takes ages simply to open any folder. 

The NAS was always fairly slow, but it was never this slow - I just cant use it at all through windows explorer or my sync software.

I should say though that if i try to look at those photos through the web browser (under the shares tab) it does not appear to be so slow - it is more "normal"

The firmware was updated to the latest version today (Feb 8th 2016).

OS is WIndows 7 Pro x64bit

Desktop computer is i7 3930K 32Gb ram SSD

Any suggestions please ?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which services and apps are you running?

Are you using the anti-virus service? If so, please disable it under System > Settings > Services.

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Welcome to the Community!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which services and apps are you running?

Are you using the anti-virus service? If so, please disable it under System > Settings > Services.

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Welcome to the Community!

Message 2 of 11
bolek007
Tutor

hi, the same issue (RN102) I have after upgrade fw from 6.4.0  to 6.4.1 , or 6.4.2 . Downgrade to 6.4.0 fw solved this issue for me...

Message 3 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bolek007,

Was the AntiVirus already disabled before downgrading FW and it was already using 6.4.2?

Regards,

Message 4 of 11
bolek007
Tutor

Hello JennC,

Antivirus was all the time enabled... Now I am back on 6.4.0

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@bolek007 wrote:

Hello JennC,

Antivirus was all the time enabled... Now I am back on 6.4.0

Disabling AntiVirus would also have restored your performance.

Message 6 of 11
bolek007
Tutor

yes, I can confirm, with disabling AntiVirus is performance on 6.4.2 ok, thanks...

Message 7 of 11
leotchest
Aspirant

I do not have any apps installed - but turning off the realtime antivirus solved the problem - thanks for letting me know about that !

Message 8 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bolek007 & leotchest,

This issue has been acknowledged by NETGEAR and is currently being worked on. At the moment, we do not have an ETA when it'll be available.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
DoctorBrown
Apprentice

@leotchest wrote:

I have had the NAS 102 for couple of years now and it seemed to work OK - in fact i mainly just use it as an external backup device. I have all my files and folders stored on it. 

Typically, I would keep the backups on the NAS all up to date by using Goodsync, a simple desktop program. 

However, i can no longer keep my files synchronised because the NAS has become so slow that Goodsync just times out & I keep getting the message 

"Error analyzing \\192.168.1.80\Photos\: no reply after 136(120)-sec timeout: The specified network name is no longer available"

Somehow the NAS keeps disappearing - or rather its running so slow that the synchronised believes it has disappeared.

As an example of how slow the NAS is, if i select a small photo (less than 115kb in size) and try to open it, it will take approximately 2 minutes for that photo to load into the default windows picture viewer. Also, any time you want to open a folder in windows explorer that is on the NAS, it takes ages simply to open any folder. 

The NAS was always fairly slow, but it was never this slow - I just cant use it at all through windows explorer or my sync software.

I should say though that if i try to look at those photos through the web browser (under the shares tab) it does not appear to be so slow - it is more "normal"

The firmware was updated to the latest version today (Feb 8th 2016).

OS is WIndows 7 Pro x64bit

Desktop computer is i7 3930K 32Gb ram SSD

Any suggestions please ?

I have found that the latest update 6.4.2 has KILLED the network throughput. With the latest 6.4.2, my max sustained network transfer rate was 37.0 MB/s or about 30% of network bandwidth.  When I am on version 6.2.5. My max sustained network transfer rate is 63.5 MB/s or 53% of network bandwidth of 1Gbps.

See various posts in:

ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2 Feedback Thread

Message 10 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DoctorBrown,

This performance issue was caused by the AntiVirus feature of the ReadyNAS system. While an official fix is being worked on, a hotfix has been available and you can get it from @mdgm-ntgr (via pm).

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements