× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS Pro 6 no longer shows up as a networked devise in windows explorer

chewy99
Aspirant

Ready NAS Pro 6 no longer shows up as a networked devise in windows explorer

I am running a Ready NAS Pro 6 as a home server for music, videos etc and its been working fine for a number of years. Yesterday I made the mistake of taking advantage of the free upgrade on one of my PCs from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. After that had completed I noticed that the mapped NAS drives no longer worked on that computer so I undid the Windows 10 upgrade but it made no difference. I then noticed that the mapped drives on the other home computers (running on Vista and Windows 7) no longer worked either. The NAS doesnt show up at all in windows explorer on any machine but I can see its connected through the Netgear router (using netgear genie) and I can access it through Raidar and see the shared drives using the IP address of the NAS and am able to ping it no trouble. It seems that there is a permission issue of some sort. If I try and manually map a drive to the IP of the NAS I get an error code "0x80004005 - unspecified error". When I run the diagnostics it says that "The device or resource (192.168.1.100) is not set up to accept connections on port "The file and printer sharing (SMB)". I have checked all the settings in Frontview of the NAS and in Windows and file network file sharing appears to be turned on and all computers and the NAS are set to the same workgroup. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready NAS Pro 6 no longer shows up as a networked devise in windows explorer

What firmware are you running?

Does \\nasipaddress\share name (in windows explorer) work?

I'm having no problems access my pro-6 from Windows 10 (including mapping drive letters).

FWIW, seeing the NAS in the left pane of windows explorer has been hit-or-miss for years (and is a discovery problem, not a permissions problem).  It's hard to tell if windows is at fault or the NAS.  There are several workarounds, but if you can't access shares directly via \\nas\share then you have other issues.

Message 2 of 10
chewy99
Aspirant

Re: Ready NAS Pro 6 no longer shows up as a networked devise in windows explorer

Hi Stephen

Firmware is 4.2.24. It wont let me update to 4.2.27.

\\nasipaddress\share name (in windows explorer) does not work? Thats when I get these error messages.

If I type the NAS IP address into my web browser I access the NAS shared folders and the videos, songs, pictures within the folders but this doesnt give me access to the users personal folders (and is not ideal for copying files between folders)

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@chewy99 wrote:

Hi Stephen

Firmware is 4.2.24. It wont let me update to 4.2.27.

Thats interesting, and might be related. How does it fail? Do you happen to have ssh enabled? What add-ons are installed.

@chewy99 wrote:

\\nasipaddress\share name (in windows explorer) does not work? Thats when I get these error messages.

From the OP I was gathering that the NAS wasn't showing up in the left pane - which is quite different from \\nasip\sharename failing. Do \\nasname\share and \\nasipaddr\share both fail the same way?
Message 4 of 10
chewy99
Aspirant

The NAS doesnt show up in windows explorer in the left pane and if I try and type in \\NASIP\share or \\nasname\share into explorer or click on browse in raidar I get the same message "windows cannot access \\NASname/share (or \\nasip\share). Check the spelling of the name otherwise there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems click diagnose. Error code 0x80004005 unspecified error" . When I run the diagnostic it says "the devise or resorce is not set up to accept connections on port "the file and printer sharing (SMB)".

I just tried the remote update option on frontview which worked and its now showing firmware 4.2.27. However when I click on the admin icon the frontview page that loads up is completely blank now and I cant do anything???

I have the PLEX add on installed (had it for several years).

Message 5 of 10
chewy99
Aspirant

Scratch that. Frontview came back after turning the computer on and off! Still can't access the NAS from windows explorer however. I'm at a loss.

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 7 of 10
chewy99
Aspirant

done thanks mdgm

Message 8 of 10
chewy99
Aspirant

mdgm - I sent the logs to that email address.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a backup?

it looks like one of your disks is bad and there is some data corruption on the OS partition at least.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements