× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS Ultra 6 -- dead drive but no warnings. Says I still have redundancy. How?

mncd
Aspirant

Ready NAS Ultra 6 -- dead drive but no warnings. Says I still have redundancy. How?

I have an Ultra 6 with 6 disks.  The 5th disk is dead according to the Health screen in FrontView.

However when I go to Volume Settings it says: "Status: Redundant"

How can I have redundancy if one of the drives is dead? The storage of the other 5 drives adds up the capacity shown so there doesn't seem to be any redundancy at all.

There are no warnings telling me to replace the drive. I don't get it.

Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Ready NAS Ultra 6 -- dead drive but no warnings. Says I still have redundancy. How?

I had instances of drives being labled as "dead" when they were not on my Ultra 4.  I had two "dead" drives, so my volume should have been corrupted, but it was not.  Others reported similar problems, especially with specific drive types, even though they were on the compatibility list.  Netgear has never given a satisfactory answer as to how it happens or how to fix it, save to "contact support" and pay for a solution.

I tried removng the drives (one at a time), deleting the partitions on a Windows machne, and re-installng them.  After they were re-synced, all was well for a time, but it would happen again sooner or later.  I finally realized it was happening when the drives spun up and turned off automatic spin-down, and the problem went away.

Message 2 of 8
mncd
Aspirant

Thank you for the post.  I'm at least partially comforted in knowing my system might be okay, however after disabling the spin-down feature, I still have the Dead label.

Since my system seems to be at full capacity, says "Redundant" and has issued no direct warnings, I tend to think it's working.

Did your Ultra 4 behave normally except for the "dead" labels?  Or were there other points of concern?

Message 3 of 8
powellandy1
Virtuoso

I'm no expert but I think I may have had something similar.

Some drives - particularly the Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB firmware CC32/CC3C - can 'drop out' of an array and hence the NAS thinks it's dead. If you have CC3C you can ask Seagate for CC3D. I think the CC32's need RMAing.

Likewise if drives don't spin up in a certain time it can mimic the same thing.

Also if you have 6 drives in a dual redundant array you can lose one and still be fine.

Andy

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Mildly off topic, but related:

If you are buying new disks, then pass on desktop drives (particularly "green" ones and Seagate "DM" drives).  

NAS-purposed drives (WDC Red or Red Pro, Seagate VN) are similar in price, and usually have better warranties. In my experience the WDC Reds work out well.

Also, its always good to search this forum for the drive model you are considering before you purchase it.  (google with site:community.netgear.com is likely better than the forum search tool).

Message 5 of 8
mncd
Aspirant

I just have single disk redundancy which is why I find it weird.  Even if I had dual -- I would think it would give a warning if one disk was out.

Message 6 of 8
mncd
Aspirant

Good advice.  I've been using Reds for my other NAS and that's why I'm going to use to expand the Netgear.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@mncd wrote:

I just have single disk redundancy which is why I find it weird.  Even if I had dual -- I would think it would give a warning if one disk was out.

Yes, it should always warn.  Something might have "glitched" driving the firmware into an inconsistent state.  Someone from Netgear really should take a look - it isn't clear to me how the system would handle a drive replacement right now.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements