× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 With X-RAID Not Expanding Storage, Device Becomes Unreachable

dwitkin
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 With X-RAID Not Expanding Storage, Device Becomes Unreachable

Hi. I've been using a ReadyNAS 102 for about 9 months now. I had a 1.5TB WD hard disk in bay 1 and a 1.0TB WD disk in bay 2. Everything was working great.

I decided I would upgrade both disks to 3TB Western Digital HD-W30EFRX. Before purchaing them, I looked the drives up and they were on the ReadyNAS compatibility list.

I'm using X-RAID (/RAID 1, I believe - redundant disks only). Here's a quote from the software user guide on adding disks:

X-RAID accommodates the new disks automatically. You can replace
existing disks with larger-capacity disks and X-RAID automatically accommodates the new disks.

Based on the quote and reading a few related posts, I thought I could just: (a) remove either of the two existing disks; (b) add one new disk; (c) let the new disk sync the data; (d) remove the remaining 'old disk'; (e) replace it with the remaining new, 3TB disk, and then (f) let the new disk synce the data.

Unfortunately, I've tried this with two different new hard drives on the compatibility list and it isn't working for me. Neither of the new hard drives is formatted. I remove one of the old disks, insert one of the new 3TB disks, and at that point the ReadyNAS becomes unreachable via its web admin page, RAIDar, or through the Windows network. I've waited several hours, and even after that much time the device does not become reachable. The ReadyNAS also is unable to gracefully shutdown using the power button. In short, the hardware appears to be frozen.

I also tried the same process but started with a powered down state, and that didn't work either -- the power button just went into slow blink mode and the ReadyNAS was not reachable as above.

When I remove all the old disks and put one of the new, unformatted 3TB disks in the drive and power-up, the new drive is recognized fine and the ReadyNAS is reachable. So, I know I can now backup all my data from the old disks to my computer, remove the old disks from the ReadyNAS and insert the new disks, and then restore the backup to the new disks. But I thought one of the key advantages of using X-RAID is you shouldn't have to do that.

Before I go through the full backup / swap / restore process mentioned above, are there other solutions I should try to resolve the issue?

Thanks for your help!

Dave

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102 With X-RAID Not Expanding Storage, Device Becomes Unreachable

The process you outline (hot-swap one drive at a time) is the right one.  I'm don't know why it isn't working for you.  It will take several hours to resync, though normally the UI would be available for most of that time (just slow).

Do you have other apps running (antivirus, etc) that could be adding to the CPU load? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The process you outline (hot-swap one drive at a time) is the right one.  I'm don't know why it isn't working for you.  It will take several hours to resync, though normally the UI would be available for most of that time (just slow).

Do you have other apps running (antivirus, etc) that could be adding to the CPU load? 

Message 2 of 9
dwitkin
Aspirant

Hi Stephen. Thanks for the response.

No, I don't have anti-virus running, but I do run a Plex server and the Logitch Media Server on the ReadyNAS. Nothing is / was streaming, though.

Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you could still try turning off the apps and seeing if that helps.

Which firmware are you running?

Message 4 of 9
dwitkin
Aspirant

Ok. Yeah, it can't hurt to try that. I'm backing the device up right now, but will try that tomorrow.

The firmware is 6.2.5 -- the admin page says I have the latest for my device.

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could send your logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 6 of 9
dwitkin
Aspirant

I tried the suggestion to shut down the apps and try the process above again. Same result (ReadyNAS became unreachable / unresponsive).

I'm going to close this out. I backed up everything earlier today to an external disk outside the NAS, then installed the new drives in the NAS. That worked fine. Now I just need to restore the data to the higher-capacity NAS drives.

Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 9
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi Guys

Although this problem is already solved it has thrown up a query in my mind, which is:

Dwitkin said to increase his disk capacity on his RN102 he could: (a) remove either of the two existing disks. 

Well, I always thought that with a two disk NAS, facing the front of the machine, you had to remove and replace the right hand disk first then, after the new disk has been recognised and synced, replace the left hand disk.

In other words, I did not believe that removing "either disk" was an option.

However, I am going from my own understanding of using my two RN Duo V2s.

UK Bob

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Dwitkin said to increase his disk capacity on his RN102 he could: (a) remove either of the two existing disks. 

Well, I always thought that with a two disk NAS, facing the front of the machine, you had to remove and replace the right hand disk first then, after the new disk has been recognised and synced, replace the left hand disk.

In other words, I did not believe that removing "either disk" was an option.

It is an option (both with OS-6 and legacy systems).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements