× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 replicate not doing incremental, only full backup

spwilko
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 replicate not doing incremental, only full backup

I have a pair of 102's with 6.2.5 firmware nas1 and nas2.

I created a job with Replicate to backup a folder from nas1 to nas2.

I ran the job and it performed a full backup. I run the job again it still always makes a full backup.

I've tried turning off snapshot on the job but it still insists on doing a full everytime.

How do I get it to do an incremental?

I then let nas2 get yesterday's update 6.4.0 in case it fixed things and notice now that the destination backup folder date stamps for the backups are back to unix day 1 (1970-01-01 00-10) not the current date/time

Any help would be great.

Pretty disappointed by the lack of system backup on 6, no replication (seeing as that's the name) and no

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS 102 replicate not doing incremental, only full backup

Yes, it pulls them from the previous backup.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
spwilko
Aspirant

Here's a bit of an update.

When it upgraded to 6.4.0 the NTP service failed to start so never got the right time. I edited the 2 netgear ntp servers (swapped them around) and saved and the ntp service started and corrected the time. Now the backups  have a correct date/time stamp.

The original problem still exists - it does a full backup each time even though the job report says full on the first and not on subsequent backups.

Has anyone else got any ideas on how to get incrementals working as the gurus haven't replied yet?

Thanks

Message 2 of 5
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

It does do incremental backups, but it also makes copies of files that haven't changed. These files don't consume additional space.  When you go to restore a Replicate back to a unit, it will only have to access one folder of files rather than jump around from different backups.

Message 3 of 5
spwilko
Aspirant

Thanks kohdee 

I see in the job report it says no files transferred, but if I look in the backup folders (using finder on a mac) I see copies of all files in each backup folder.

So is it copying the files locally from the previous backup?

Message 4 of 5
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, it pulls them from the previous backup.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements