× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102

idarch
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102

A couple of days ago my readynas 102 was making some crazy sounds, the kind you get from your PC when you're deleting a ton of files.

When I switched it on yesterday is said volume not found on the admin page. I've taken the drive out to put in my PC (it's a Western Digital Red 3TB WD30EFRX) and the drive shows unformatted. Data recovery software ie EaseUS can see the files for recovery.

My Ready Nas (now without a drive) has just the flashing power light on it so I can't access it by ip to get the log files, even after a reset the power light still flashes.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ivan

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102

The PC doesn't support ext or btrfs, so maybe that is what you are seeing there.  It should show the partitions in the disk manager, but won't know what they are.  Not sure if EaseUS supports btrfs - if it doesn't then you will see the OS partition but not the data volume.  Worth taking a look though.

The NAS boots from the disks, so of course you can't get logs w/o them installed.  Likewise you can't reset the NAS without disks - "reset" means do a factory install to the disks.  You can reinsert the drive with the NAS powered down to get the logs.

Assuming you have no backup (and that EaseUS can't see the data volume) - I suggest contacting support.netgear.com.  They will likely charge (if you are out of your 90 day software support window).

Message 2 of 8
idarch
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen for your quick response and now I understand why I can't boot the drive without a disk in.

My concern is what caused this in the first place? So that it doesn't happen again..

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@idarch wrote:

My concern is what caused this in the first place? So that it doesn't happen again..

It's hard to say.  There could be some clues in the logs.  

I suggest downloading lifeguard from the western digital site, and running the long test on the drive (on the PC).

Message 4 of 8
idarch
Aspirant

Thanks again Stephen, I did as you've suggested and have contacted WD as the drive is only 1.5 years old.

This was the result:

Western Digital Logo

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WMC4N0943888 Firmware Number: 80.00A80 Capacity: 3000.59 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 102 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2! Test Time: 23:17:58, October 03, 2015

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WMC4N0943888 Firmware Number: 80.00A80 Capacity: 3000.59 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 102 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2! Test Time: 23:20:42, October 03, 2015 Test Option: EXTENDED TEST Model Number: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WMC4N0943888 Firmware Number: 80.00A80 Capacity: 3000.59 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 08- Test Time: 11:36:23, October 04, 2015

Message 5 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi idarch,

It seems that the WD drive you have is faulty.  Do you have a backup of your data? 

If ever you do not have a backup of your data, it would be best to contact NETGEAR Support for assistance.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
idarch
Aspirant

Sadly I didn't. I'm running EaseUS recovery with crossed fingers...

Regards Ivan
Message 7 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi idarch,

Put disks to their respective bays while NAS is powered off. I hope you labeled which bay each disk was removed. Then contact support center.

The free 90-day support is already expired but you are entitled to one grace support, I suggest you take advantage of it since it appears your issue needs L3 support.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements