× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 - Cannot delete/move some files, even as Admin #26331978

Benrb8157
Tutor

ReadyNAS 104 - Cannot delete/move some files, even as Admin #26331978

Hi,

I have the ReadyNas104 with firmware version 6.4.1

Generally I've had no issues, until recently when I tried to delete some folders/files.

There is only one user/share which is myself. Finding it strange I logged in as Admin instead but still I was unable to delete/move some folders/files.

Whenever Ben/Admin try the only options available are copy,browse and recover - Pic showing no delete/move options

This isn't affecting most folders/files, just a select few.

Confused I clicked on Shares and double checked that Admin permissions are set to read/write which they are - Pic of permissions 

I decided to try deleting the affected folders via Windows instead but got the error message that i don't have permission - Pic showing Windows error message

Using windows I discovered that the owner is 'root (Unix User\root)' which I assume is the readyNas OS? - Pic showing how Windows displays the owner info

Could someone please help me regain permission so that I can free up this unwanted 60GB of space.

Cheers

Message 1 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - Cannot delete/move some files, even as Admin

Hello Benrb8157,

Welcome to the community!

Can you try please resetting permission on that share and see if that helps?

See How do I restore default file and shared folder access rights on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
Benrb8157
Tutor

Thanks for the reply JennC but I'm struggling....

I say this because, following the steps through, I click on 'Shares' and see the following - When I click 'Shares'

Clicking on the folder in question ('Home Folders') redirects me to the 'Browse' tab.

Instead there is a cog/settings icon to the right which I can click - Cog icon

The popup that opens is very different to the guide you referenced. There is no 'reset' option, just two tabs at the top, 'Snapshots' & 'Access' - Here's the popup in question

Logically I thought maybe there'd be something under 'Access' but I was wrong - The 'Access' options

The 'reset' option IS available for all the other folders when I click the settings opton for them, just not for this one. Is that normal? - For example, the 'reset' option IS available for the 'Films' shared folder

Cheers

Message 3 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Benr8157,

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about the home shares. It doesn't have that option.

What's the authentication mode of the NAS? Is this integrated to AD?

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
Benrb8157
Tutor

Thanks for helping me with this JennC...

If I click on Accounts then Authentication it shows the type as 'Local Users' and not 'Active Directory' - Authentication...

I can't understand why there is a difference between certain folders in this share.

For example this folder has the full range of options available but this folder doesn't.

I can edit/rename/delete the first one to my hearts content, but the other I can't. 

It doesn't seem to be the permissions for the share in general, just a few select folders within it.

Hopefully I'm making sense?

Cheers

Message 5 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Benrb8157,

Unfortunately, this isn't possible at the moment. I've seen your support ticket and I am currently consulting one of my colleagues in helping you with your request. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements