× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 not shutting down

PWPhoto
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 not shutting down

I have a problem where I have a power schedule configured on my NAS.  But, it seems to hang on shutdown.  The only way to resolve the issue is to power cycle it.

This is happening to the two ReadyNAS 104 units I have. It seems to happen on firmware versions 6.2.4 and the newer 6.2.5

It is a pain, since my units are in my attic, and means I have to go up to power cycle them.  My older ReadyNAS NV+ doesn't suffer from this issue.

Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 not shutting down

If you shutdown (or restart) from the web ui, do you have the same issue?

Message 2 of 15
PWPhoto
Aspirant

It seems to restart and shutdown from the web GUI just fine.

So, the issue appears to only happen when it is set to a scheduled shutdown.

Message 3 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you didn't see this issue till you updated to 6.2.4 (or newer)?

What apps and services are you running?

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 4 of 15
PWPhoto
Aspirant

Correct.  Only seen since 6.2.4 and in 6.2.5.

No apps running at all.

I will send on logs now.

Message 5 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have both MySQL and anti-virus running on this system. I would suggest not having both of these running at the same time on a 100 series unit.

Since MySQL wouldn't be installed by default it seems you had some apps on this system at some point.

I see you have disk spin-down enabled. Does the problem still occur if you disable disk spin-down.

Message 6 of 15
PWPhoto
Aspirant

Ok, I knew about the anti-virus, but didn't know MySQL was there.  It's not listed in the "running apps", nor the installed apps.  I will have to look at how to remove it.

I can certainly disable the disk spin-down. I thought it would help conserve disk usage and power.

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@PWPhoto wrote:

...I can certainly disable the disk spin-down. I thought it would help conserve disk usage and power.

It does, but sometimes it is useful to disable it when troubleshooting.

Message 8 of 15
PWPhoto
Aspirant

I've disabled spin-down now. So I will see tonight does it shutdown on schedule.

Still no idea how to disable/uninstall MySQL, since it's not listed as installed nor running.

Message 9 of 15
PWPhoto
Aspirant

No improvement. The system was hung again this morning.

Is there a way to uninstall/disable the MySQL? I guess the problem is that it is not listed in the "Running Apps" nor the "installed apps" so I have no direct way to uninstall it.

Message 10 of 15
PWPhoto
Aspirant

Ok, still no improvement. Both my ReadyNAS 104 still hang on shutdown. Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 15
jziggy101
Aspirant

I have this same problem but only once I updated the firmware to 6.4.0. The nas will sit with the power button flashing but not shutdown.  The only way to get the nas to shutdown is to remove power from the unit.  The power button does not do anything. When I was on 6.2.5 the system would shutdown at 6am after running some scheduled backups.  Then start back up at 10am when I needed the nas.  I am not running antivirus or any apps.  I do have the drives spin down after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Message 12 of 15
bigfoot2503
Aspirant

The same problem here. Is there a solution out yet?

Kind Regards

Thomas

Message 13 of 15
grahamu59
Tutor

Try setting th MTU to the default value of 1500 - this solved the same issue for me.

Message 14 of 15
PWPhoto
Aspirant

MTU has always been default at 1500.

Latest software update applied and it is a little better. It now works sometimes, but not others.

Very frustrating, and has made me select an alternate NAS provider for the latest one I bought.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements