× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 212 getting dual bay mirror setup

alket
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 212 getting dual bay mirror setup

Hey everyone. I am having issues finding directions to backup my NAS to the drive in the 2nd bay. I've searched through the threads and get lost in the vocab. How do I set up my NAS to mirror or even store daily backups (that hopefully i can set up to automatically occur)? This newbie really appreciates the help. Thank you

Model: RN212D22|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 6
jak0lantash
Mentor

If you want to "mirror", you can use X-RAID to have a single volume in RAID1 (though RAID redundancy is NOT a backup).

If you want to have two separate volumes and create a backup between the two, it should be fairly easy. Use Flex-RAID (disable X-RAID), create two separate volumes, create the shares your want on the first volume, create a single share on the second volume and create a backup job to back up the first volume to the share on the second volume upon schedule.

Message 2 of 6
alket
Aspirant

alright bear with me a little bit... I set it to flex raid and under that there is a greyed out box to set a new volume. As I understand it I need to be able to create that second volume and then when I set-up a backup.Since its greyed out I went to backup and click browse for the location to backup too and the 2nd disk isnt an option. Help...

Message 3 of 6
jak0lantash
Mentor

Select the blank drive and the new volume button will be available.

Message 4 of 6
Ar_Mohan
Aspirant

HI...

I have just bought a ReadyNAS 212 and installed it. i have copied my files into the nas, it has 2x2tb.

The usable space is only one disk(2tb). So my doubt is whether the 2nd disk is automatically taken for mirroring 

or do i have to do something for making it a mirror disk? 

1.jpg

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The mirror is already set up (your screen shows RAID-1). Everything written to one disk is written to the other automatically.

This provides useful redundancy (protecting against a single disk failure), but there are other failure modes that can affect both disks.  So even with RAID, you still do need a separate backup on another device to keep your data safe,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements