× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3100 - HDD more than 3Tb compatibility?

dat4wd
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3100 - HDD more than 3Tb compatibility?

Is it possible to use ReadyNAS 3100 with HDDs 4-6Tb? I read HWCL, but....
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 3100 - HDD more than 3Tb compatibility?

Should be possible, but if you run into issues using disks outside the compatibility list support may be refused.
Message 2 of 7
Dinkum
Aspirant

Almost all of the 3TB drives listed have disappered from the market. What other drives do Netgear recommend?

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Dinkum wrote:

Almost all of the 3TB drives listed have disappered from the market. What other drives do Netgear recommend?

Netgear doesn't recommend stuff off the HCL.  But it's clear they've neglected it also. 

I'd recommend WDC Red (WD30EFRX) or WDC Red Pro (WD3001FFSX).  If you are a Seagate person, then their equivalent NAS drive (ST3000VN000).  

Enterprise drives will work too, though they cost more.

I don't recommend buying desktop drives for your NAS - the NAS purposed drives above are better choices.

Note I don't work for Netgear.

Message 4 of 7
Dinkum
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.

I am happy to use enterprise drives but I am really concerned regarding the expressed statement from Netgear that you will NOT get support if things go haywire.

Some how, I dont' think the WDC Black drives will do a lesser job that the listed ones.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Dinkum wrote:

Some how, I dont' think the WDC Black drives will do a lesser job that the listed ones.

Perhaps not, but WDC's data sheet says

WD Black PC Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications (RAID 0 and RAID 1).* * Business Critical RAID Environments

– WD Black PC Hard Drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders and in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications. 

In other words, RAID-0, RAID-1 are ok, RAID-5, RAID-6, RAID-10 are not.

@Dinkum wrote:

I am really concerned regarding the expressed statement from Netgear that you will NOT get support if things go haywire.

I agree it is a problem.  In my opinion they should not deny support to anyone using NAS or enterprise drives.

Message 6 of 7
Dinkum
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. I shall look into the WDC Red NAS range.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements