× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3100 Maximum HDD size?

mikeons
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3100 Maximum HDD size?

Greetings,

I soon will be receiving a ReadyNAS 3100 for personal/home use. While I understand that, according to the compatibility chart, the maximum size of HDD supported is 3TB per drive, I am wondering if anyone have any experience in using >=4TB drives on ReadyNAS-3100?

I also understand that if I used a HD that is not on the compability chart I won't get any official support. However, since this will be for personal use, I simply want to invest my money wisely. Instead of buying 4x 3TB drives I like to purchase 4x 5TB or even 4x 6TB drives to maximize the storage/dollar ratio.  I currently have 3x 4TB drives on my personal server so I may simply buy one additional 4TB drives and migrate slowly.

Any help is very much appreciated,

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 3100 Maximum HDD size?

You can use larger disks.  The hardware HCL hasn't been updated in some years (Netgear stopped qualifying disks for your system quite a while ago).  I do recommend either NAS-purposed disks (WDC Red or Seagate Ironwolf) or enterprise class drives for your NAS.

There are two expansion limits that apply to OS 4.2 systems like the 3100

• a volume cannot be expanded over a 16 TiB ceiling
  • a volume cannot be expanded more than 8 TiB from it's starting size

Both of these limits do create practical limitations that you should take into account when selecting the disk sizes.  In particular, 4x6TB yields a volume size of 18 TB.  You can do a factory install with 4x6TB drives, but it would not be expandable.  

One thing I suggest is converting your 3100 to run OS-6, which has no known expansion limits.  That isn't supported by Netgear, but since your 3100 is used, you can't get support from them anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can use larger disks.  The hardware HCL hasn't been updated in some years (Netgear stopped qualifying disks for your system quite a while ago).  I do recommend either NAS-purposed disks (WDC Red or Seagate Ironwolf) or enterprise class drives for your NAS.

There are two expansion limits that apply to OS 4.2 systems like the 3100

• a volume cannot be expanded over a 16 TiB ceiling
  • a volume cannot be expanded more than 8 TiB from it's starting size

Both of these limits do create practical limitations that you should take into account when selecting the disk sizes.  In particular, 4x6TB yields a volume size of 18 TB.  You can do a factory install with 4x6TB drives, but it would not be expandable.  

One thing I suggest is converting your 3100 to run OS-6, which has no known expansion limits.  That isn't supported by Netgear, but since your 3100 is used, you can't get support from them anyway.

Message 2 of 5
mikeons
Aspirant

Thank you for the prompt reply, very much appreciated. With regarding to OS-6, can you please confirm that the steps at post #3 at the following link is what you are referring to?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

regards,

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Those are the steps (particularly the 3-step version at the end).  Though this might be more clear:

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Download PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86 .bin
  3. Install it it as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web ui, and do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  4. Download R4toR6_6.9.5 .bin
  5. Install it as a firmware update using the ReadyNAS web ui
  6. After you install the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
Message 4 of 5
mikeons
Aspirant

thank you very much. Once I receive the ReadyNAS 3100, I'll attempt these instructions and report back,

regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements