× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 516 BIOS Upgrade for VT-x

powellandy1
Virtuoso

ReadyNAS 516 BIOS Upgrade for VT-x

Hi

I've just bought a 516 to replace my ailing Pro6.

I am interested in using Virtualbox in the future and I understand that needs a BIOS upgrade (for 64bit VMs at least).

Current BIOS is 4/16/2013.

Grateful for advice/instruction.

Currently has scratch disks in. Port open 53264 (if needed).

Thanks

Andy

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 516 BIOS Upgrade for VT-x

Yes, that was the side effect that needed fixing. That is now fixed. You may have noticed that I rebooted the NAS. You should see ReadyNAS 516 as the model again now.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there's no longer a tricky procedure to boot off USB now that you've updated the BIOS. If you ever need to boot off a NTGR USB service key it should automatically boot off one connected to the front USB port.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please reboot your NAS. Note you'll need to do a cold boot this time (i.e. shutdown, remove power for say 30 seconds and reconnect power and power on). Let me know once it is powered on again and you've turned Secure Diagnostic Mode back on as there is a side effect that needs fixing.

The BIOS update also has a USB3 F/W update.

Btw the RN516 isn't one of our current models. I would have suggested the RN526X or RN626X.

The RN516 is a good unit and one of my favourites.

Message 2 of 5
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Many thanks.

Rebooted and back in diagnostic mode.

I note the model now says 'To be filled by OEM' - the side effect??

I would have loved an 8 bay one. Time to buy a lottery ticket perhaps!

Cheers

Andy

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, that was the side effect that needed fixing. That is now fixed. You may have noticed that I rebooted the NAS. You should see ReadyNAS 516 as the model again now.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there's no longer a tricky procedure to boot off USB now that you've updated the BIOS. If you ever need to boot off a NTGR USB service key it should automatically boot off one connected to the front USB port.

Message 4 of 5
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Perfect, many thanks for your help.

Andy

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation