× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 6.7.1 No CHAP?

jspooner_si
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 6.7.1 No CHAP?

CHAP system broke in 6.6.1, saw there was 6.7.0, but it was removed. Now installed 6.7.1, but CHAP still doesn't seem to be working. Keeps saying it is failing the authentication and I don't see anything in the release notes that this was fixed. Is this going to be fixed? Any ETA?

Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 6.7.1 No CHAP?

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 10
jspooner_si
Aspirant

I sent in the logs. I also have another system that was still on 6.6.1 and is failing to authenticate using CHAP. I can send you those logs too if you need more.

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can see lots of errors in the logs like this:

kernel: iSCSI Login negotiation failed.

and also lots of these errors:

kernel: CHAP user or password not set for Initiator ACL
kernel: Proposer's value list "None" contains no valid values from Acceptor's value list "CHAP".
Message 4 of 10
jspooner_si
Aspirant

Yes, we know, it doesn't work anymore. We have two of them doing this since the upgrade to 6.6.1. One we tried to fix before the upgrade to 6.7.1, but couldn't get it to work and when 6.7.1 came out, we had hoped it would have been fixed. We at least got the initiator to start working, but only by disabling CHAP. The other one we tried to upgrade from 6.6.1 to 6.7.1 without making any changes, but after the upgrade, we had to disable CHAP on this one too in order to get the connection to reestablish itself.

Message 5 of 10
jspooner_si
Aspirant

It has been a couple days and no response. Is this being looked into?

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would have thought we would have had more reports if this was a widespread issue rather than simply something wrong with your settings. Have you double checked your settings?

Message 7 of 10
jspooner_si
Aspirant

Doing a Google search showed me plenty of reports. However, I doubt there are that many people setting up their ReadyNAS using iSCSI and CHAP. As for the settings, we didn't change them after doing the firmware update until we saw that CHAP was no longer working as it was before the update. Again, this has happened on two different systems that are at two different locations and have nothing to do with each other.

Message 8 of 10
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

I can’t reproduce the issue by following steps,

RN314,

1. Create LUN on 6.6.1 and enable both initiator and target authentication,
  2. Connect NAS in Windows  iSCSI Initiator (log on with both initiator and target authentication),

Connect OK, Windows can detect LUN disk,

1. Update to 6.7.1, connection is still OK, Windows can detect LUN disk,

RN422

1. Create LUN on 6.7.1 and enable both initiator and target authentication,
  2. Connect NAS in Windows  iSCSI Initiator (log on with both initiator and target authentication),

Connect OK, Windows can detect LUN disk

@jspooner_si

Could you please tell me your environment? I want to reproduce it in local.

Message 9 of 10
jspooner_si
Aspirant

Yes, it will detect it and connect to it, but when the Windows System State tries to back up to it, it fails. So far we have found disabling CHAP allows the back ups to succeed.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements