× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2120 v2 (v1) - stuck on system starting up RAIDar

bjussab
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo RND2120 v2 (v1) - stuck on system starting up RAIDar

Hello everyone.

Hope someone can share some ideas and help me. I bought a ReadyNAS Duo in 2010/2011. I used it for a couple of years before it was left to sit on a shelf unused.

I recently started to attempt to use it again, but when I did that I realised I had set it to a static IP with the old home network and it was now unaccessible and required network settings change.I attempted to do the smaller reset (OS Install) and try and access the drive, sadly this did not work. I resulted to attempt using RAIDar with a direct connection to the ReadyNAS. RAIDar detected the device but it just sat at the status of system starting up.

I really need access to some data on the drive to I connected them up to a SATA caddy and used Linux Reader, I managed to successfully get my files of the drives. After getting my data backedup I decided maybe a Factory Reset would be the best solution. So I did the hold reset for 30 seconds and see the drive lights flash twice. I plugged the ReadyNAS Duo back into my router and attempted to start it up. I can see it listed in RAIDar but once again its sitting at system starting up.

I started this device roughly around 9 hours ago. Can anyone shed some light on the situation please

Many Thanks

Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The factory reset process will take some minutes.

First there is the 10 minute countdown in which time you can abort the factory default before it does anything by powering down the system.

You can end the countdown by opening RAIDar, clicking setup, choosing the RAID mode and confirming your choice.

Once you've chosen the RAID mode or the 10 minute countdown expires the disks will be wiped, the OS installed and the volume created. This will take some minutes. If multiple disks are installed and you are using a redundant RAID level, a resync taking some hours will start too.

Message 2 of 10
bjussab
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware the factory reset process takes sometime, Just can't do anything as the ReadyNAS Duo has been sitting on System Starting Up (as the status on RAIDar) for the last 9 hours, and there is not setup or any other button and does not let me do anything at all.

I did turn it off after an hour of sitting at System Starting Up, before turning it back on and leaving it for 9 hours (while I slept as it was nighttime in the UK).

Thank you

Message 3 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

What disks do you have in the Duo?

Can you redo a factory reset with a single, different, known good disk, in the unit.

Test the 2 disks using a PC and vendor tools while they are out.

Message 4 of 10
bjussab
Aspirant

Hi vandermerwe,

Thanks for your reply. I have 2 x Seagate 2TB drives, that I bought as a pack with the ReadyNAS. 
I do not have any other drives to test it with, but will try with one drive in. Do you recommend after testing the drives, formatting the drives prior to putting it in the ReadyNAS will help?

thanks

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@bjussab wrote:

Do you recommend after testing the drives, formatting the drives prior to putting it in the ReadyNAS will help?

No.  It's better not to format.  You can remove the existing partitions (windows disk manager can do that), or zero the drives (vendor diagnostics like Seatools can do that).

Message 6 of 10
bjussab
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks all. It seems one of my drives was corrupt and was causing the issue.

I have managed to get it working with one drive in and re-setup it up using the factory reinstall method.

I have used windows disk manager and repartitioned it, hoping that when I reinsert it later on it will just Raid build up to how I want it.

Many Thanks

Message 7 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

No don't repartition the disk, this is more likely to cause problems. 

Delete any partitions before inserting the disk.

Did you factory default it to xraid? If you did it will create a raid volume which seems to be what you want.

Message 8 of 10
bjussab
Aspirant

Oh didn't know that. Deleted the partition and inserted into the Duo. Saying syncing volume c now. Hope it goes well.

Yes, x-raid is what want and set it to when the message was shown.

Thanks
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@bjussab wrote:
Oh didn't know that. Deleted the partition and inserted into the Duo. Saying syncing volume c now. Hope it goes well.

Deleting partitions is safe, that restores the drive to an unformatted state.  Creating new partitions/reformatting might result in seeing a corrupt root message (more likely if you insert drives with the NAS powered down).

But since you are seeing the sync starting, the NAS is responding normally.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements