× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo V2 getting (too) warm.

ukbobboy
Luminary

ReadyNAS Duo V2 getting (too) warm.

Dear Forum Members

I own two RN Duo V2s, first one bought December 2012 has 2 x 2TB WD Greens and the other bought January 2015 has 2 x 3TB WD Reds.

On Monday morning I noticed that my first Duo V2 was not responding to commands, via Plex, as it used to, I then discovered that the machine was warm when touched, had shot up in temperature to 39C and with a fan speed of 780+ (can't remember the exact number).  While the second Duo V2, which is besides the first one, had a temperature of 36C with a fan speed of 749 (approx).

After checking both sets of logs, which did not show anything untoward, I switched the first Duo off.

Later, Monday afternoon, I switched on my first Duo and, as expected, it was behaving normally but after 30 minutes or so it started to warm up again, whereas before it would still be cool to the touch.

After I had completed my updating chores, I situated a small (6") desk fan near the Duo V2 to continually blow air at it.  This enabled me to "direct play" some of my collection of shows to my TV without any problems.

Finally, this morning I checked my Duo V2 and noticed that the temperature was 36C, even with the fan blowing on it all night, and internal fan speed of of approx 750+.  My second Duo V2 currently has a temperature of 30C without my desk fan blowing on it.

It seems to me that my first Duo V2, which is about 2 years and 8 months old, is going wrong by getting abnormally warm.  As it has not broken down yet I don't think I can make any claims under the current 3 year hardware guarantee.

Therefore, can anybody advise me on what actions I can take to restore my first Duo V2 to it's original health before the inevitable breakdown occurs.

UK Bob

PS. I'll be glad to answer any questions and clarify any points that I may have glossed over or failed to make clear.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V2 getting (too) warm.

I'm glad I could help.

On the browser stuff, opera 31 is of course current (as of the moment), and since it has much less market share then chrome or IE it is perhaps less subject to targetted attacks.

XP of course stopped getting security updates a year ago (April 2014).  Generally users should simply move on, but it sounds like you are careful and cognizant of the risks.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

try open up the case and vacuum off the dust

Message 2 of 16
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi Cpu8088

Good idea, but can you direct me to "opening up a RN Duo V2" instructions, preferably in a PDF format so that I can download and/or print them out.

Once again, thanks for the idea and thanks, in advance, for the instructions.

UK Bob

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Since they are under warranty, you could try Netgear support (even though the units haven't completely failed, they are failing to perform properly if plex won't play).  Are you hearing the fan?  If so, is there any bearing noise, or is it just loud/running too often?

Opening the chassis on most of the desktop units is pretty easy.   But you can damage stuff if you aren't careful (which would void your warranty for sure).  Just opening the unit up could be viewed by Netgear as voiding the warranty.  So this is a case of "you are on your own" if something goes wrong.

When cleaning fans, you don't want to let them rotate.  You can use a can of compressed air instead of a vacuum cleaner (there are several guides on cleaning PCs and laptops which are generally applicable).

Message 4 of 16
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi StephenB

You are right, if I open the case my warranty will be automatically voided, therefore opening my RN Duo V2 at the moment is out of the question.

I wonder if I contact Netgear they could direct me to a place in London where I could get my Duo V2 serviced under warranty?

That'll be my safest option.

Cheers.

UK Bob

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@ukbobboy1 wrote:

Hi StephenB

You are right, if I open the case my warranty will be automatically voided, therefore opening my RN Duo V2 at the moment is out of the question.

I wonder if I contact Netgear they could direct me to a place in London where I could get my Duo V2 serviced under warranty?

In my experience they are more likely to do an RMA.  I don't know know if they have authorized service centers or not.

Your older NAS is nearing the end of the warranty, so if they won't do an RMA you can always open the chassis in 2016, and either clean it or (if you are more adventureous) replace the fan.

Message 6 of 16
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi StephenB

I'm now waiting for Netgear Support to get back to me with a service centre (or approved computer shop) where I can get my Duo V2 serviced under warranty.

UK Bob

Message 7 of 16
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi again

Netgear Support has got back to me and want me to send a copy of my Duo V2 logs and a screen print of the temperature.

Not quite sure what they can do, and I expressed this over the phone, because they don't have a service centre in the UK.

Anyway, I'll switch on my machine later today, wait until it gets warm, capture the logs and a screen print then forward that onto them (as soon as I get their email address).

UK Bob 

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@ukbobboy1 wrote:

Not quite sure what they can do, and I expressed this over the phone, because they don't have a service centre in the UK.

Again, they normally ship a new (or refurbished) replacement to you and you then return your failed NAS (e.g. an RMA) .

Message 9 of 16
Jophus
Luminary

It is strongly recommended to NOT putting a vacuum cleaner into a NAS.  Vacuums are notorious for ionising air and creating static electricity.

It is generally recommended to use a can of compressed air, or an air compressor, to blow the dust away from sensitive electrical components.

Message 10 of 16
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi StephenB & Jophus

First Jophus, as I am now in communication with Netgear support there is no-way I am going to take it upon myself to open my Duo V2 because Ken, the support person, confirmed that my warranty would be automatically voided if I did.

StephenB, as mentioned before, Ken has asked for my logs and screen prints but he has mistakenly sent me a link that does not have an option to attach documents. I checked his link using Opera 31, Internet Explorer 8.0 and Firefox 28 and in all instances the linked screen had no "attachment option".

I now await another link, this time with an "attachment option", from Netgear support.

UK Bob

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You can email your logs (and screen shots) w/o waiting.  Take a look at mdgm's signature.

If you do that, I suggest putting your case number in the subject line.

FWIW, your IE and Firefox browsers are seriously out of date.  Firefox is up to version 40.

Message 12 of 16
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi StephenB

Unfortunately, MDGM's signature leads to a page on how to send documents not where to send them.

As for my out of date browsers, IE8.0 I can do nothing about because MS decided WinXP users IE's would not go beyond V8.0. Firefox still works as I expect and want it to and, personally, I don't believing that updating for the sake of updating is worthwhile.

Anyway, I'm still waiting.

UK Bob

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@ukbobboy1 wrote:

Hi StephenB

Unfortunately, MDGM's signature leads to a page on how to send documents not where to send them.

Not true. It gives you the email address to send them to. Look for "When prompted, save the logs and email them to... " and substitute "@" for " at "

As for my out of date browsers, IE8.0 I can do nothing about because MS decided WinXP users IE's would not go beyond V8.0. Firefox still works as I expect and want it to and, personally, I don't believing that updating for the sake of updating is worthwhile.

You are running a pretty big security risk - both by staying with XP and by not allowing FireFox to update automatically.

There are good reasons why browser suppliers have moved to 6 week update cycles.

Message 14 of 16
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi StephenB

Once again, I owe you my thanks as I have now sent off the requested documents to Netgear Support.

As for my browsers and O/S, I understand your concerns and I fully appreciate them. You see, I use Opera 31 when I am in a forum and sandboxed Firefox when anywhere else. As for IE, I don't use it and XP still works for me.

Anyway, StephenB you have given me some good advice of the past year or so and set me on a path that enabled me to complete my ReadyNAS/Plex set up.

Cheers

UK Bob 

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I could help.

On the browser stuff, opera 31 is of course current (as of the moment), and since it has much less market share then chrome or IE it is perhaps less subject to targetted attacks.

XP of course stopped getting security updates a year ago (April 2014).  Generally users should simply move on, but it sounds like you are careful and cognizant of the risks.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements