× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo V2: issues with a HD replacement : not redundant/share (toward a three-field system)

LaurentDuval
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo V2: issues with a HD replacement : not redundant/share (toward a three-field system)

• Product Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2
  • Serial Number: 2UM21BE6005ED
  • RAIDiator 5.3.13
  • RAID type: X-RAID2

My ReadyNAS Duo V2 has been working well with X-RAID2, first with two 2TB compatible drives (WDgreen), then two 4TB compatible drives (WDred). Aside from a weekly back-up on an external USB drive, I try to set up a method I thought clever, known in agriculture as a "three-field system" (or crop rotation). It uses three similar disks. Suppose I start with disks D1 and D2 in X-RAID2. Now, I pull D1 to store it in a remote place (my office), and insert D3 (in case of huge loss in my flat, I have some backup elsewhere). D3 synchronizes with D2, no problem. One month later, I tried to start the rotation. I brought back D1, formatted it, and hotswapped D2 with clean D1, with the aim of bringing D2 at my office. The sync failed. Indicating (picture below) under yellow light "Volume C not redundant" and under red-cross "Channel 2 ... (sparse)". So I shut down the NAS, asking for a disk check at reboot, with success. Then the resync restarted:

• RAID sync started on volume C. [Mon Feb 19 21:41:36 CET 2018]

and after a while:

• RAID sync finished on volume C. [Tue Feb 20 06:40:46 CET 2018]

Unfortunately, the RAIDar interface still exhibit the same image. On the front face of the NAS, the blue light corresponding to the swapped disk is blinking in the two cases (before and after reboot).

Before I do buy a fourth brand new 4TB drive:

1. Is the three-field concept viable?
  2. What did I do wrong?
  3. How should I interpret the "spare" volume?
  4. How can I solve this issue?
  5. Other feed-backs welcome.

Best regards

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V2: issues with a HD replacement : not redundant/share (toward a three-field system

@LaurentDuval wrote:

We don't recommend it here.  One big reason is that you need to do a resync every time you swap the disks.  That takes quite a while, and if the remaining drive fails during the process you will lose the data on the NAS.

Backing up to a second USB drive is a better strategy.  You could get a USB dock for your internal drive, which would preserve your investment (and your internal drive is higher quality than a typical USB drive).

@LaurentDuval wrote:

How can I solve this issue?

Try rebooting the NAS first, and see if either the status resolves, or a second sync starts.

If neither of those happens, then simply remove the second drive with the NAS running.  After a few seconds, hot-insert it (again with the NAS running).  It should start a second resync.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V2: issues with a HD replacement : not redundant/share (toward a three-field system

@LaurentDuval wrote:

We don't recommend it here.  One big reason is that you need to do a resync every time you swap the disks.  That takes quite a while, and if the remaining drive fails during the process you will lose the data on the NAS.

Backing up to a second USB drive is a better strategy.  You could get a USB dock for your internal drive, which would preserve your investment (and your internal drive is higher quality than a typical USB drive).

@LaurentDuval wrote:

How can I solve this issue?

Try rebooting the NAS first, and see if either the status resolves, or a second sync starts.

If neither of those happens, then simply remove the second drive with the NAS running.  After a few seconds, hot-insert it (again with the NAS running).  It should start a second resync.

Message 2 of 5
LaurentDuval
Aspirant

Thank you for the hints.

By reboot, just to be RAID sure, as "WARNING: The factory default reboot process resets the unit to factory settings, erases all data, resets all defaults, and reformats the disk to X-RAID", as seen on https://kb.netgear.com/21100/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-Ultra-2-Ultra-2-Plus-or-Pr...

Are you talking about the normal reboot, or something else

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@LaurentDuval wrote:

Are you talking about the normal reboot, or something else

I was talking about a normal reboot.

Message 4 of 5
LaurentDuval
Aspirant

I went to vacations at the time of your answer. I will try your solution in the next fexw days. Regards

Model: ReadyNAS RND2210v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements