× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo reset, is my data lost?

Mathijs
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo reset, is my data lost?

I lost my admin password so i had to reset the NAS, unfortunally i holded the reset button to long so the disks are wiped clean....
I have a readyNas Duo with 2x 1Tb disks in raid.
After the reset i upgraded to the latest firmware and let the disk sync.
After that i realised my data was gone, so i decided to turn it off to prefent further data loss and increase changes for a recovery.

first question: is my data lost, or are there way's to recover the data?

I hope there is a way, all the pictures of my kid are on the disks... :cry:
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Duo reset, is my data lost?

Your data is gone. Hope you have a good backup. Irreplaceable data must not be entrusted to a single device. Irreplaceable data must be backed up e.g. to USB disks rotated off-site, another NAS, the cloud or some place else. See Preventing Catastrophic Data Loss

When you held the reset button in too long "accidentally" you could have opened RAIDar (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20684/). If when you clicked setup you were asked to choose the RAID mode you could have powered down the system immediately to abort the factory default. If you confirmed a RAID mode selection or waited longer than 10 minutes then the disks would be wiped. The subsequent firmware update would have further reduced the likelihood of recovering data.
Message 2 of 14
Mathijs
Aspirant

No good backup, otherwise i would not have asked the question.

Thnx for your reply, hopefully it helpes other netgear users.
Also it might reconsider netgear to put such an important action behind this button.
A mistake is easily made in this way.

At this moment i am trying to recover my data with this software: http://www.getdata.com/ hopefully it will work...
Message 3 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you are careful you shouldn't make an "accident" like this (there's a big difference between holding the reset button in for about 5 seconds and 30 seconds, it takes effort to keep the reset button pressed in) and if you are prepared and you make a mistake the 10 minute window is plenty of time to abort the factory default before any harm is done.

Newer models have a better boot menu where accidents like this are less likely. In future I hope you backup regularly.
Message 4 of 14
kcobello
Aspirant

Wow. I have the same NAS. Feel bad for this guy. We also have a Iscsi 2T raid station that we/I had to reset. I did it and wiped 2 years of business photography away (me not fully understanding what I was doing). We were lucky that we had most of this backed up on portables that we use for onsite photo events/racing. We lost all the custom stuff though. You have to have a system of backup and be adament on doing it. Our loss.
Message 5 of 14
Mathijs
Aspirant

ik know, the backup solution is already standing by...

the disks are getting examined by an expert company, hopefully they can resque the images and films of my kid...
Message 6 of 14
Mathijs
Aspirant

i tried to recover my data with this software: http://www.recovermyfiles.com/
Unfortunally without succes, the pictures where corrupt.
I checked only one disk since i wanted to have the other one as an backup to be examined by a company.

I contacted the company and asked if there is anything i could do.
They think my disks were not in mirror but in striping mode...
I can't check this ofcorse but i never saw more totall space then the size of one disk.
So it is likely the disks were in mirror or am i wrong?
Message 7 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If your volume was the capacity of one disk then they were mirrored. However if you were using X-RAID on a Duo (v1) only one disk would have the partition table on it (though the partition table would have been wiped when you wiped the disks).
Message 8 of 14
Mathijs
Aspirant

If that was the case, would my data have been safe in case of a disk failure? (in case the disk with the partitiontable would have crashed?)
That was the whole idea of buying the nas...
Message 9 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, the NAS can rebuild the partition table on the replacement disk. However when you wipe both disks it becomes extremely difficult to recover any data.
Message 10 of 14
Mathijs
Aspirant

it's a realy hard lesson to learn unfortunally...

I've send the disks to a company wich hopefully can restore some data, al least the pictures...
When i get the disks back i will make myself a plan for the nas so i assure myself that my set-up is save and backed-up!

I'll post my experience with the recovery here when i get the disks back so it might help someone in the future...
Message 11 of 14
kd78
Aspirant

So sorry this happened to you. I feel sick reading this as my main use for my readynas duo v1 is to backup my years of children's photos. Totally agree with you that something this big should not be programmed into holding the button for 30 seconds. While it is not a common thing to do, it seems ridiculous that it can result in losing all data.

I am now realizing that I need to heed the warnings on this board and back up my data to yet another site/device as "RAID/readynas is not a backup".

I hope you are able to recover the files and let us know what you find.
Message 12 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Newer models have a different improved boot menu. If the NAS is your primary storage for important data you definitely should backup that data.
Message 13 of 14
Mathijs
Aspirant

An update of how i solved the problem:

It was uncertain what raid configuration was used before i resetted the nas, also the rest performed a new format, also in an unknown raid configuration.
So the company was not able (was to exepensive) to recover my data.
I decided to reinstall the nas knowing my data is lost.
In the new configuration i made certain the disks are mirrored + i have a backup disk 😄
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements