× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v1 stuck on Booting after power outage

dorian50
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v1 stuck on Booting after power outage

There was a power outage at my house which turned my ReadyNAS Duo off.  This has happened before so I manually powered it On but could not access FrontView or see it in RAIDar.  I then accessed the boot menu to power it On and Skip Volume Check.  Now, RAIDar can see it but stuck on Booting.  Still can't access FrontView.  Responds to pings from cmd prompt. 

Model: ReadyNASRND2110|ReadyNAS Duo 1TB (1 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1 stuck on Booting after power outage

Hello dorian50,

OS resintall won't help. Is it configured as XRAID? If it is configured as mirror RAID, maybe try pulling out one of the disks and see if that will allow you to access the shares. The idea is finding out if one of the disks is causing the problem, so label the disks with which bay they are inserted and has been working, disk order is important.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You might have lost the volume.

You can try powering down and mounting disk 1 in a PC (using R-linux for Windows: http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/ )

Message 2 of 11
dorian50
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, 

Thank you for your reply.  Can the volume be lost if RIADar sees both disks as green/healthy?  Also, would an OS reinstall help in this scenario?

Message 3 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dorian50,

OS resintall won't help. Is it configured as XRAID? If it is configured as mirror RAID, maybe try pulling out one of the disks and see if that will allow you to access the shares. The idea is finding out if one of the disks is causing the problem, so label the disks with which bay they are inserted and has been working, disk order is important.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 4 of 11
dorian50
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice, JennC. 

Finally made some progress!  Here's what I did:

1. Pulled the power as NAS wasn't responding to shutdown. 
  2. Labeled both disk drives. 
  3. Left disk 1 outside, put disk 2 back in the 2nd bay.  (They were in X-RAID before)
  4. Powered the NAS back on. 
  5. RAIDar saw the NAS correctly as Not Redundant. 
  6. Frontview finally working!  (RAIDiator 4.1.16)
  7. Tested email alerts and backed up configurations. 
  8. Browsed to shares from a Mac successfully. 
  9. Hot-added disk 1 and RAID sync is running now, should take about 18 hours. 

The weird part is that the logs mention Improper Shutdown and RAID sync started while it was stuck in the Booting state.  No mention of System is Up, though. 

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

It would have been better to have backed up the data before reinserting disk 1.  Hopefully the resync will be successful, making the backup unnecessary.

Overall RAID isn't enough to protect your data.

Message 6 of 11
dorian50
Aspirant

Good point StephenB, most of the data is backed up already in other places, I was just trying to bring the NAS back to life. 

RAID sync finished in less than 9 hours and the volume looks to be fully functional again.  Big thanks to JennC and StephenB!

This ReadyNAS Duo has been a trooper since 2010!

Message 7 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dorian50,

I am glad that it is now back up and running. I suggest to always have full backup of the data because sometimes, it happens that both disks get big problems and in that event, you will lose the data.

You might want to consider upgrading to ReadyNAS OS6 too. 🙂

If the issue is now resolve, I encourage you to mark the post that most helped in resolving the issue on this thread so it will help others too who may be encountering the same issue.

Regards,

Message 8 of 11
dorian50
Aspirant

JennC, does the ReadyNAS Duo v1 support OS6 or would I have to upgrade the hardware too?

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@dorian50 wrote:

does the ReadyNAS Duo v1 support OS6...

No, it only can run OS 4.1.

Youd need to buy a new NAS (perhaps an RN212).  It would have more features, up to date linux, and also would be much faster.

Message 10 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dorian50,

No, your ReadyNAS Duo is a Sparc-based unit that cannot run an OS6 firmware, unfortunately. There are users who were able to install OS6 on x86 units that came with OS4.2, if you haven't heard.

Regards,

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements