× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Firmware Update Destroyed Volume

PhilB-SC
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Firmware Update Destroyed Volume

Greetings.

I recently purchased 2 ReadyNAS 312s.  During setup, I was required to set up the drives with encryption due to them being used by the HR department.  I was having an issue where I could not get the user "admin" to map to any of the SMB shares.  I tried many ways and checked many sites and could not find the reason why "admin" could not map.  I decided that maybe a firmware update might fix this issue.  I downloaded the 6.6.0 firmware update.  I upgraded from 6.5.1 (I believe).  After the devices updated and rebooted, they came back that volumes did not exist.

My drives are online.  The only options I appear to have are to balance or destroy.  I do not want to destroy and balance comes back with - 14007049999, An error occurred while attempting to run Volume Balance.

I did not have anything on the drives yet, but if I cannot update the firmware if I have encrypted RAID1 drives then I will never update my firmware.

Any help would be appreciated so I do not have to recreate my shares and security and backup jobs to my secondary ReadyNAS 312 that has the same issue.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PhilB-SC,

You might really need to reinstall and start from the scratch since there is still no files stored. However, did you already reboot with the USB stick that has the key for encrypted volume?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PhilB-SC,

You might really need to reinstall and start from the scratch since there is still no files stored. However, did you already reboot with the USB stick that has the key for encrypted volume?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the admin password still set to the default one? That might explain why you couldn't map the shares as that. The admin user is meant to be used for administrative purposes only.

Is the USB key containing the encryption key the only USB device attached or are there others?

Message 3 of 5
PhilB-SC
Aspirant

Ahhhh.... I should of thought to put the USB key back in.  I have them removed for security.  That makes sense.

I did have the admin password changed.  I created another account though to access the files.

Thank you both for your replies.

Message 4 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PhilB-SC,

Thank you for informing us what caused the problem and solved it.

Please continue posting any suggestions, comments or questions, we value your contribution to the community.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements