× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS LED patterns

c3po
NETGEAR Expert

ReadyNAS LED patterns

Message 1 of 61

Accepted Solutions
chirpa
Luminary

✓ ReadyNAS DUO LED patterns

Until I post the FAQ, here is the info for reference:
LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 61

All Replies
psriley
Aspirant

Thanks, I've read the wiki and the other LED guides. HC isn't an issue because the unit has not been modified. I purchased it with the drives pre-installed.

It's obvious it's stuck somewhere in the boot process and booting it with a new image doesn't help. Is there anything else I can try?
Message 2 of 61
hno
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re:

psriley wrote:
It's obvious it's stuck somewhere in the boot process and booting it with a new image doesn't help. Is there anything else I can try?

Have you tried a factory defaults boot? (warning: erases all data)
Message 3 of 61
chirpa
Luminary

That post is almost a year old, so they probably already got somewhere with it.
Message 4 of 61
tcblack
Aspirant

And yet we still do not have a description of DUO LED patterns anywhere that I can find.
is there a list somewhere?
Message 5 of 61
chirpa
Luminary

I will update the FAQ page later today with the info.
Message 6 of 61
tcblack
Aspirant

Thanks Chirpa!
Message 7 of 61
chirpa
Luminary

Later today (i hope) heh, didn't get to it yesterday.
Message 8 of 61
tcblack
Aspirant

Well I certainly wasn't going to say anything. :wink:
Message 9 of 61
chirpa
Luminary

✓ ReadyNAS DUO LED patterns

Until I post the FAQ, here is the info for reference:
LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration
Message 10 of 61
tcblack
Aspirant

Excellent, Thanks Chirpa.
Bookmarking this one I am.
Message 11 of 61
wenel
Aspirant

I have a problem with my DUO. I changed the RAM to 512 MB Module and now after I power on the device, disk leds are blinking: disk1 led is solid for 1s and then disk2 led is solid for 1s (disk1 led is of). Power led is off. I don't know what it means 😞 I've contacted the Netgear phone support, but they told me to wait and see how long it would last... 😐
Message 12 of 61
yoh-dah
Guide

wenel wrote:
I have a problem with my DUO. I changed the RAM to 512 MB Module and now after I power on the device, disk leds are blinking: disk1 led is solid for 1s and then disk2 led is solid for 1s (disk1 led is of). Power led is off. I don't know what it means 😞 I've contacted the Netgear phone support, but they told me to wait and see how long it would last... 😐

It's probably an incompatible memory.
Message 13 of 61
THN
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am sure that there is an expiration date on some of the FAQ and User Submitted Tips. In other words, some of them are just workarounds, which get fixed with a subsequent firm ware update.

It would be nice if there was a note on the FAQ and Tips saying that the workaround is no longer needed, or something to that effect.

Like I am looking at this security tip. Is that still needed with the latest RAIDiator?
Message 14 of 61
chirpa
Luminary

THN wrote:
Like I am looking at this security tip. Is that still needed with the latest RAIDiator?
Yes.
Message 15 of 61
Springate
Aspirant

sorry to sound stupid but what so i do if i get the "bad contents on root partition of disks" number of flashes..

have tried to update firmware but no response from duo, cannot connect via frontview or RAIDar and only way to turn off is at the wall (not very reassuring) have lots of data on here i do not wish to lose in the process

thanks all
Message 16 of 61
tonasis
Aspirant

Hi there

Has anyone seen the following LED pattern (1st line in the UK haven't, it's been passed to 2nd line in the US)

Model: ReadyNas Duo

Disk 1 green LED flashes twice, (1 second intervals)
Then all LED's flash 3 times quickly (blue pwr led, activity led, disks 1 and 2 led's)

I can't pwr this unit off either, unless I switch off from the wall socket
Can't flash/reset or do anything to the box, just keeps repeating the led pattern
This box has been replaced once already, 2 weeks ago, for exactly this same error

Any thoughts out there?
Message 17 of 61
Springate
Aspirant

have not had any support in my case # 897 4033 and haven't used my NAS duo since march ..

a replacement would be really handy as i my current NAS duo doesn't work and can't be powered off properly..
Message 18 of 61
markm1111
Aspirant

Hi

This is a problem with a ReadyNas Duo. We had a blackout last night for about 90 minutes. I have the auto power on/off functionality implemented. I suspect the Duo didn't power down normally due to the blackout, as it did not restart this morning under auto power on.

I pressed the power button once, and now for the last 4 hours the duo has been running. There is no blue power light on, it just has a green led the alternates between disk 1 and 2 at roughly one second intervals.

Raidar doesn't recognise any Nas being attached.

Any clues on what might be happening, and how I get my Duo working again?

Thanks
Message 19 of 61
martijnh1
Aspirant

Hi Mark,

That looks like my Duo.
It booted itself this morning and has since then been wooshing a lot, but not more then that. The blue led is blinking, all others are off. Poweroff not possible in a normal way, so..

I did log a call at support, but I have no idea when this will be responded to.
Message 20 of 61
dbott67
Guide

Here's a document for the NV/NV+/1100. I believe the patterns are similar, but due to the fact that the Duo has only 2 drive LEDs, it can be a little ambiguous:

faq.php#What_does_this_light_pattern_mean%3F_%28LED%29

See this thread for some things to try:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=33859&p=186521#p186521
Message 21 of 61
naburleson
Aspirant

martijnh, My Duo started to do the exact same thing, can't figure out what the problem is. I'll boot it up and the only thing that will light up is the power LED, it will blink on and off rapidly for about a minute or two then start to blink slower and the fans will start to spin slower. If you figure anything out please let me know. Thanks
Message 22 of 61
yurikane
Aspirant

Hi,

i just bought a readynas duo, and started it without disk inside. The nas crashed (corrupted root) and i reinstalled it using the tftp procedure. At the end of this procedure, the nas couldn't be seen by raidar and i couldn't power it off using the power button (the leds were on and stable). So i unplugged the nas and did a reset at the restart but the leds stayed off like it's said on the faq :

If all LEDs blink briefly(milliseconds) after power on and then no sign of power, the PSU may be bad or there might be short circuit on PCB and hard drives.

(the disk i use in slot 1 works well)

Is there any method to recover it or do i have to send it back ?

Thank you
Message 23 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you got corrupt root, you should have tried a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) before trying boot recovery (as when you move disks to the NAS from a computer they have to be wiped anyway so you have nothing to lose).

I'd contact technical support.
Message 24 of 61
jwrubel
Aspirant

I have a Rev. A ReadyNAS 600 which started giving me the solid LED 1&3 corrupt RAIDiator image error. I successfully transferred the RAIDiator image using TFTP, but when it finishes downloading it gives a light indication which isn't on the list. The ReadyNAS flashes all four LEDs and then the 1&3 LED in alternation. Holding down the power button shuts the device down. But if I try and do an OS reinstall or even a factory-default, then it complains again with LEDs 1&3 on solid. What is the meaning of the alternating 4 LED with 1&3 LED pattern? In both cases the power LED is slow blinking. Is my flash memory dead?
Message 25 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements