× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS LED patterns

jwrubel
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS LED patterns

In case anyone else looks at this post, the error I described with all four LED's alternating with the 1&3 LED's indicates that "writing failed" to the flash. This warning can be seen in RAIDar, and was referenced in this previous post:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21602&p=223143
Message 26 of 61
drc15
Aspirant

Tonasis I have the same problem as you:

Model: ReadyNas Duo

Disk 1 green LED flashes twice, (1 second intervals)
Then all LED's flash 3 times quickly (blue pwr led, activity led, disks 1 and 2 led's)

I can't pwr this unit off either, unless I switch off from the wall socket
Can't flash/reset or do anything to the box, just keeps repeating the led pattern

Did you get any answers - can this be fixed or is it an RMA?

I have tried flashing it and the reset button but still the same pattern of lights.

Daniel
Message 27 of 61
Devin1
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue

all LEDS including power flash 3 times rapidly - then just "1" flashes slowly 3 times
Will not power off
will not reset
Can not see drive on router or Raidar

So far no help from Tech support - and it looks like others have this same problem?

Does anyone from Netgear read these posts?

Has anyone found a solution?
Message 28 of 61
ReadyNasJim
Aspirant

I have been scanning these threads for an overview of the LED Patterns for the ReadyNAS Duo as I have seen so many different patterns since getting my Duo yesterday evening. In the meantime I have done a factory reset, tried a TFTP Flash Recovery and even got instructions and links to USB recovery tools from the Ready NAS hotline (which I have now performed twice).
Each attempt has led to different patterns, but in the meantime I can't even locate the Duo with the RAIDar tool. Right now I have had the power LED blinking roughly 1x per second and the HD1 and HD2 lamps blinking synchronously every three seconds. I'm going to let it run overnight (again), but I would certainly appreciate it if someone could post a list of the various LED codes for the ReadyNAS Duo.
Message 29 of 61
tast101
Aspirant

I assume my NV is re-syncing. I accidentally cut it on with the drives out. Now drives 1-3 and the power button are on constantly and drive 4 is flashing. And I can't locate it in raidar etc. If so any idea of how long ti would take all four drive are 500gigs. I'm waiting to migrate my data to my Ultra 4.
Message 30 of 61
bendraper
Aspirant

I've just put new RAM in my DUO and I first had the power light binking and the fans on full power
after an hour of nothing I unplugged it and got the 3 short and 2 long binks - indicating that it can't find any drives.
unplug and repower again gives me the power button flashing showly and fans at full power again.
Might leave it a few hours as I have 2 x 2tb disks in

any thoughts?
Message 31 of 61
bbirkhahn
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus is running perfectly, but the blue Power LED isn't working anymore?
Message 32 of 61
gamercier
Aspirant

Hi!

I've checked the FAQ but have not seen this sequence of LED's

System: readynas 600/X6 REV B (3disks,1 TB each) and up-to-date in firmware (except latest release of radiator).

Power on -> quick flash all disk LED ->
Power On slow pulsation; Activity light fast blink; sequential solid and persistent disk 1-4 lights with 1-3 remaining on ->
Disk 2 blinks fast for a few seconds then returns to solid, like 1 and 3 ->
Activity blinks fast while Power on pulsates slowly ->
Activity stops after about 1-2min, disks 1-3 solid->
Finish with Power on still pulsating slowly and disks 1-3 on solid (can be like this for over 24 hours).

The system can be pinged, but no access through frontview or access of shares. I've used a sata to USB conversion cable system
and can see disks 1 and 3 upon connecting USB, but not disk 2... Cannot turn off by front power on button.

Does this imply a disk 2 failure? It certainly was not very elegant way to tell me. thanks in advance!

Gustavo Mercier
gamercier@yahoo.com
Message 33 of 61
hopkinton
Aspirant

After a power outage (I have a UPS but it ran out of juice) my ReadyNAS Duo is presenting the following LED pattern: 5 green disk 1 blinks followed by 3 blue power button fast blinks. This patterns repeats forever and I can't ping or RAIDar the unit. I have removed both disks and the behavior is the same. It looks like it's an internal check (memory?) that fails and the boot can't continue... Any ideas? Thanks!
Message 34 of 61
lxdengar
Aspirant

I can't find a mention of the light patterns in the FAQ anymore. However, its located here:

http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/what_does_this_light_pattern_mean
Message 35 of 61
logger
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNAS NV. (The orginal one without the LCD at bottom)
All four bay lights are blinking in parallel. xx00 then 00xx. Old locked thread http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=38851 and http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/support/ReadyNAS-LED.pdf says it is "SODIMM fails memory access test, re-seat SODIMM or replace SODIMM".
Raidar cannot see the unit. But it slight flashing decode suggests resyncing for a sungle green light. I have all four. So I guees it is not resyncing.

The light sequence appeared out of the blue with the unit running. Assuming I have diagnosed this properly am I safe to turn the unit off?

Then how do I find and re-seat the sodimm?
Message 36 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Turn the unit off. Then perhaps see if you can run the memory test: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/is_there_a_way_i_can_verify_if_my_memory_is_good
Message 37 of 61
logger
Aspirant

Did as you suggested. Ran the memory test which took about an hour. Passed (which is good) )and now has four x solid greens again and currently running a File System check. So hopefully will be up and running again shortly. Thanks for the Help.

Given that my NV unit is pretty ancient, Do you happen to know if I could put the 4hdd directly into a newer NV+ without losing all my data?
Message 38 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could put them in a NV+ (v1 - silver chassis) but not a NV+ v2 (charcoal chassis). The NV+ (v1) itself is EOL now so would be getting increasingly hard to find new.

See http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another

A good description of a range of ways on how to tell the difference between a NV+ (v1) and a NV+ v2 can be found here: How to tell whether I have a Duo v1 or Duo v2 or NV+ v1 or NV+ v2
Message 39 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah, I should have read your post properly. To re-seat the SO-DIMM take a look at http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/how_do_i_replace_the_stock_memory_module_on_the_readynas_nv

It is best to run the memory test a few times.

If the memory has failed you could replace it, but if there is data corruption from using incompatible memory NetGear won't be able to help recover your data.

So if you get a replacement module get one that matches the specs and layout of the stock module as closely as possible (you can use modules up to 1GB in capacity), run the memory test a few times before trusting it. Even then it might not be O.K. So you might wish to power down, remove your drives (label order) and put a spare disk (not from your array). Give it perhaps a week or two of heavy use and if it appears to be working fine and nothing shows up in the logs to suggest bad memory then the memory probably is O.K. Power down, remove the spare disk, put the disks back in (same order as before) and power on.
Message 40 of 61
logger
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
You could put them in a NV+ (v1 - silver chassis)...]

Cool thanks. I might be able to pick up a second hand NV+ cheaply on ebay and I just wanted to know if it would work if my NV had died.
I am probably better off backing up my NV data & putting funds towards a brand new NAS. Again Thnx.
Message 41 of 61
etardieu
Guide

I have a readynas duo. I powered it off this afternoon, now it won't boot. The led pattern is:
three rapid blinks of blue and the three green lights (activity, I and II)
three slow blinks of the "I " green led.
What's going on?
Thanks!
E./
Message 42 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like corrupt root: ReadyNAS Duo – LED Patterns

If you see the NAS in RAIDar (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20684/) what do you see under the Info (far right) column?
Message 43 of 61
etardieu
Guide

Yes, I found the Led pattern documentation after I posted, I thought it was a corrupt boot as well. However, I can't see the unit with RAIDar.
In the meantime, I started transfering the data to another disk using RT-Linux. But it does take a very long time to do it via usb2 to another usb2 external drive :cry:
Message 44 of 61
etardieu
Guide

Crucial 1Gb memory chip was dead. Put back stock 256M chip and it booted. I just ordered an ultra 2 this morning! damn.
E./
Message 45 of 61
Nightwolf1
Aspirant

Hey all. I have a old ReadyNas 600. The power button doesn't seem to be working. It fires up when I hit the power button on the PSU and then does a alternating flash between 1/2 and 3/4. The power light doesn't light up. A buddy and I were going through the light codes and have tried all the advise we have found. Tried doing a firware upgrade, installed a video card so we could see if we could get a local view, and swapped out the ram with multiple sticks. Still does the same thing.
We think I need to get a new board for it. This happens with 2- 2TB drives in it or out of it.
Any advise would be greatful?
Message 46 of 61
dekkit
Aspirant

out of interest is RT-Linux better than RT-Windows at restoring data from the readynas duo (SPARC)? I found with the Windows one it didn't seem to find everything (even though the drive was fine in the end)?
Message 47 of 61
glowfly
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNAS NV with pulsating blue light and occasional ACT light, but no LED flashing from the disk LEDs. This is not a pattern described here http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/support/ReadyNAS-LED.pdf . Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks!
Message 48 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you see the NAS in RAIDar?

Are you having a problem with your NAS?
Message 49 of 61
glowfly
Aspirant

hi mdgm, I cannot see the NAS in RAIDar. When I booted up skipping disk check, it was discovered in RAIDar with a TELNET message.
Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements