× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ Factory Reset yields very small volume

DragonZeku
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ Factory Reset yields very small volume

I recently suffered (I think) a multiple drive failure on my 4-bay ReadyNas NV+  (I'm not sure if this is v1 or v2).  Drive 1 crashed hard, and I replaced it, but afterwards the Volume showed a size of 0MB.  All four disks were shown as healthy in the admin screen, but disks 3 and 4 both showed as having no space allocated, and the logs had numerous reports of bad sectors cropping up on them.

At this point I figured my data was lost, and everythig important is backed up elsewhere anyway, so I decided to install 4 brand new drives in it and do a factory reset.  The four new drives were each 3TB.  After doing the factory reset, the X-RAID volume created is only 2.1 TB, rather than the 9TB I expected.

The volume status shows that it is 740MB on each drive.  Why isn't it using the rest?

Additionally, when I go through the setup wizard, the "Shares" step shows 2 shares from prior to the factory reset, even though they should be gone.  They do not show up on the "Shares" section of the Advanced mode admin screens.  However, if I try to add a new share with one of those names, I get an error that the share already exists.

Anybody know how I can force it to rebuild a new volume using all of the available drive space, and wipe out whatever traces of the old shares are sitting around gumming things up?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ Factory Reset yields very small volume

@DragonZeku wrote:

The volume status shows that it is 740MB on each drive.  Why isn't it using the rest?

Your old v1 NAS doesn't support GPT formatting, and is limited to disk sizes <= 2 TB.    If you try to use larger drives, you end up using a fraction of the space (as you did).  The 2 TB ceiling also applies to USB drives btw.

There is no workaround, you'll either need to get new smaller drives, or replace the NAS.  The entry level ReadyNAS is an RN214, which will handle any drive size on the market, and is a lot faster than your old NV+ v1.  

@DragonZeku wrote:

Additionally, when I go through the setup wizard, the "Shares" step shows 2 shares from prior to the factory reset, even though they should be gone.  

Are you sure they aren't the default shares (backup and media)?  The configuration and operating system are on the drives, so if you installed 4 blank ones there really can't be any remnant of the old configuration.

You should be able to delete the default shares, though that might be a side effect of the 3 TB drives.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@DragonZeku wrote:

Your old v1 NAS doesn't support GPT formatting, and is limited to disk sizes <= 2 TB.    If you try to use larger drives, you end up using a fraction of the space (as you did).  The 2 TB ceiling also applies to USB drives btw.

There is no workaround, you'll either need to get new smaller drives, or replace the NAS.  The entry level ReadyNAS is an RN214, which will handle any drive size on the market, and is a lot faster than your old NV+ v1.  

@DragonZeku wrote:

Additionally, when I go through the setup wizard, the "Shares" step shows 2 shares from prior to the factory reset, even though they should be gone.  

Are you sure they aren't the default shares (backup and media)?  The configuration and operating system are on the drives, so if you installed 4 blank ones there really can't be any remnant of the old configuration.

You should be able to delete the default shares, though that might be a side effect of the 3 TB drives.

Message 2 of 5
DragonZeku
Aspirant

Thanks!  Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks!  You are right, the 2 shares in question were backup and media.  I had originally set this NAS up so long ago I had forgotten they were defaults and not shares that I added.

I am disappointed about the 2TB disk size limit.  That's what I get for trying to reuse an old enclosure.  The worst thing is I don't even really need the capacity of 3TB drives -- they are just what was most readily available (in stock at retail)

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

None of our newer 4-bay units have the 2TB limit per disk.

The NV+ (v1) was replaced in our product lineup way back in late 2011 and is using the same CPU and RAM spec as a product released way back in February 2006. It's pretty old and slow hardware by today's standards.

There haven't been any firmware updates for the NV+ (v1) for a while now.

It may be worth considering getting a new ReadyNAS, especially now that you've got new disks. We have current models that support 12TB disks (and probably much larger capacity disks than that - but we won't know for sure till there's been a chance to test those disks).

Message 4 of 5
DragonZeku
Aspirant

I'll probably replace it at some point, but the truth is I simply don't have enough need to justify it right now.  As you note, it is ancient -- and so much has changed since 2006 that much of what I once used it for, such as serving up my media library over DLNA, I no longer have need of, since better solutions have come along. 

All I use it for these days is as backup.  I don't need it be fast, and I don't need more capacity.  Honestly, I could simply junk it and be fine without, but since replacing the bad drives to get it running again is cheap and easy I figured why not.

I've already exchanged the 3TB drives I picked up for 2TB ones.  Problem solved.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements