× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ V2 destroyed new disks how recover data HELP ME

hjp1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ V2 destroyed new disks how recover data HELP ME

Hey everybody,

End of January I bought a new ReadyNAS NV+ V2 and set up the system with 4 WD Red 3 TB (recommended from Netgear).
All my data I saved on it. After 2 weeks the first message was disk #2 smart error, next start I got the message no disk detected. That happens with 3 replaced RedaNAS from Netgear ... everytime the same message "no disk detected" ... same message with a 5th WD Red 3 TB (sparepart). With a 750 GB Seagate (recommended) I could set up the ReadyNAS but all the 3 TB WD Red are not detected.

On my PC I can see the partitions on it but no chance to acces this partitions neither Windows 7 nor Unix (Kubunt, Mint, RedHat) ... nothing work.

Now I tried the small tool ReClaiMe but no chance to access the data.

Some hint from this community? ... may last chance to sabe my datafiles.

Has somebody information about the stricture of the partitions and tools to access these datas from my windows or Unix PC where I can connect these disks via SATA

Netgear 2nd + 3rd level support couldn´t help ... that´s a problem from WD ... but the WD Diagnostic said ... SMART is OK, all disk fine ... the 5th disk I can format with my PC and access the NTFS filesystem ... ReadyNAS couldn´t detect these empty new disk. What happens?

Is WD Red 3TB as recommended diskset not able to store my data over time ... bad product?

Please ... if somebody has a hint how I can access these data disks and stor my files on my PC (perhaps an the 5th WD on Windows and NTFS ... it would be great.

HELP NEEDED.

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas

regards
HArdy

PS
In total I have 2 ReadyNAS with 1 TB Seagate (1st Generation) and 2 ReadyNAS NV+ with 2 TB Seagate ... no problem with this devices.
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ V2 destroyed new disks how recover data HEL

What SMART stats are you seeing for the WD drives on the Windows system (If you can't see them, try downloading Acronis Disk Monitor).

Also, what RAID mode are you using on the NAS? XRAID, jbod, ???
Message 2 of 7
hjp1
Aspirant

With the WD-Diagnostic tool I can see all values and the main message ist smart-status passed. (ok)

All system I´m running as RAID1 (1:1 Mirror)

Thanks.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I realize that Lifeguard passed the drive. Keep in mind that WDC (and Seagate) would rather not get a lot of warranty returns, so the thresholds they use might be "looser" than that you'd want. What did it report for reallocated sectors, pending sector count, and uncorrected errors?

With RAID-1, you should be able to recover data on the PC using either R-Linux or R-Studio (http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/). R-Linux is free, so you might as well try that first. It can run either on linux or windows.

After you get the data, maybe you can post a bit more about why Netgear is convinced it's a drive problem. They could be right, but I'm not really convinced yet.
Message 4 of 7
hjp1
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your support.

The SMART data you ask are for the 2 majoy disks the same:

Disk1 + Disk 3
Rellocated Sectors Value 200 / Threshold 140 / Worst 200 / Warranty 1
Pending sector count Value 200 / Threshold 0 / Worst 200 / Warranty 0
Uncorrected errors Value 100 / Threshold 0 / Worst 253 / Warranty 0

If you are interested I can send you the log file from my communication with Netgear which was happen over 8 weeks. 3 times they changed the cabinett but no chance to get the data back ... every time the same message "no disk detected"

I will try the tool you recommended. Thx cu
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

200 Reallocated sectors + 200 pending sectors is indeed a disk problem. The drive detects/counts these errors, the NAS itself cannot create them.

It is odd that the values match though. If you see the same counts on the PC, then they are real (and not bugs in the reporting). WDC should replace them.
Message 6 of 7
hjp1
Aspirant

Hey StephenB 🙂

GREAT! you made my day.

Just I got my first file back ... it works.

Later I will check the other 3 disks for the SMART-Values, but you are right it looks a little bit curios that both disks have the same values. I ´ll check it later after finishing the file-recovery.

Thx again ... great hint to try it with R-Linux.

regards and have also a great weekend
HArdy
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements