× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ rnd4000 HELP desperately needed

starbase804
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ rnd4000 HELP desperately needed

hi, ive got a problem with my rnd4000 it says v3 on the back but cant find a v3 on here. the problem is when it boots it all led's flash 3 times fairly quickly then disk 1 flashes 3 times slowly then it repeats. ive removed disk 1, no change, removed all disks and tried, no change. removed memory and restarted and every time it does the same flashing sequence. theres no display on, and i cant perform a reset os from the rear button. 

please please can someone shed some light on this issue. really dont wanna lose all my music and films. 

many thanks

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ rnd4000 HELP desperately needed

The labeling is confusing - you have a Sparc-based ReadyNAS, which is called an NV+ v1 here.  This was replaced with an Arm-based ReadyNAS at the end of 2011, that is called a v2 here.

I saw a post with a similar pattern once, except disk 1 was flashing 5 times, not 3.  Unfortunately I didn't see a LED code list that includes either of those patterns.

You are seeing this same pattern with no disks installed?  and with no memory installed?  It must be something very early on in the bios power-on self test.  Perhaps @mdgm-ntgr can give some more information.

@starbase804 wrote:

please please can someone shed some light on this issue. really dont wanna lose all my music and films. 

RAID arrays and NAS can fail; so you really do need to back up your data.  RAID isn't enough to keep it safe.

That said, the priority now is to get your data off. 

If your issue is a failing power supply, it is possible to replace it.  There are some stock supplies that will fit, but you do need to rewire some of the pins.  There are some PSUs out there that already have the pinout change - but they tend to be quite expensive: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Spare-Power-Supply-Readynas/dp/B000W3X480

It also might be possible to purchase a use NV+ v1, and migrate your disks to it.  That's a bit risky - used NAS sometimes aren't fully operational, and any NV+ will be at least 7 years old.

Do you have any experience with the linux command line interface?  If the disks are all healthy, you can connect your disks to a PC, boot that PC up with linux, and extract the data.

If you purchase a new ReadyNAS, then netgear support can temporarily mount your disks so you can copy the data off.  They will charge (somewhere around $200, as this is considered data recovery).  The process is outlined here: https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

Message 2 of 4
starbase804
Aspirant

i did change the psu a few yrs back. didnt show this error though, just failed to show any life at all. damned frustrating as i have been looking at upgrading to a larger nas recently. wish id done it sooner. as for the flashing lights i saw the 5 flash one mentioned but couldnt find anything on 3 flashes. hoping someone has experienced this and can tell me if its dead or recoverable. id buy a new psu if i knew for sure it was that. yeah it an old unit but for a media server its too useful to ditch. 

Message 3 of 4
starbase804
Aspirant

ok, been a while but sorted the problem. dead memory. bought a second hand unit in mint condition and swapped the memory, sprung back to life. so now i know what that particular flashing led code is. Also have 2 readynas boxes now. Well i will when i get new memory and some disks

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements